Proof by induction: nCr always an integer

In summary: Second, you have to show that nC0 and nCn = 1 for all values of n.Here is a revised and more complete proof:Proof: nCr is an integer for all values of n and r.Base Case: For n = 0, nC0 = 1, which is an integer.Inductive Hypothesis: Assume that for a given n, all nCr are integers.Inductive Step: Consider n+1. By the recursive relationship {n+1}Cr = nCr + nC{r-1}, we have:{n+1}C0
D H said:
since nCr and nC{r-1} are both integers by assumption.

This is the only part I don't get. I know nCr was assumed to be an integer (induction hypothesis) but where was nC(r-1) assumed to be an integer? Is this some sort of axiom, that if nCr is an integer, then nC(r-1) is one too? I understand the other parts of the proof and I know what induction is, by the way.

Physics news on Phys.org
app_oos said:
This is the only part I don't get. I know nCr was assumed to be an integer (induction hypothesis) but where was nC(r-1) assumed to be an integer?
If nCr is an integer for all real r, then so is nC{r-1} because r-1 is a real.

Well, for all positive integers r. nCr is only defined for n and r positive integers.

HallsofIvy said:
Well, for all positive integers r. nCr is only defined for n and r positive integers.
The point of this thread is to extend to the concept nCr to real r. The constraint that n be a non-negative integer, true.