Does anyone know if the fastest velocity of light is not fastest anymore?

In summary, there was a discussion about whether or not the fastest velocity of light was still the fastest, as there were claims that the light's velocity record had been broken. However, after further testing and investigation, it was determined that there was an error in the experiment and the speed of light remains the limit for signaling. Both the original group and an independent group confirmed this to be true.
louisgeorge
Does anyone know if the fastest velocity of light is not fastest anymore? I think I heard a few days ago, that the light's velocity record has broken. Is it true? Will any of the teachers explain how did that happen, if it really did?

Physics news on Phys.org

louisgeorge said:
Does anyone know if the fastest velocity of light is not fastest anymore? I think I heard a few days ago, that the light's velocity record has broken. Is it true? Will any of the teachers explain how did that happen, if it really did?

This was not proven out. c is still the limit for signalling.

louisgeorge said:

DrChinese is correct.

There was some error in the experiment. Neutrinos travel slower than the speed of light

ok ...DrChinese thank you so much :)

After checking the equipment another test was made and the results were still that the nutrinos were being detected before expected. (they did travel faster than light) it was also confirmed by an independent group.

Paul

PaulS1950 said:
After checking the equipment another test was made and the results were still that the nutrinos were being detected before expected. (they did travel faster than light) it was also confirmed by an independent group.

Paul
Eh, no. The original group did find a systematic error that most likely cased the earlier false results. When corrected for, the neutrinos turn out NOT to move faster than light. The other independent group also found normal not-faster-than-light speeds.

1. Is the speed of light constant?

Yes, according to the theory of relativity, the speed of light in a vacuum is a fundamental constant and does not change.

2. Can the speed of light be exceeded?

No, the speed of light is the fastest velocity at which energy, matter, or information can travel in the universe.

3. Has the speed of light ever been measured to be slower than its known value?

No, all experiments and observations have confirmed that the speed of light is constant and does not change.

4. Are there any theories that suggest the speed of light might not be fastest anymore?

There are some theories that suggest the existence of particles called tachyons that could travel faster than light. However, there is no evidence to support this and it goes against our current understanding of physics.

5. How does the speed of light impact our daily lives?

The speed of light plays a crucial role in many aspects of our daily lives, from the functioning of electronic devices to the way we perceive time and space. It also allows us to communicate through technologies like the internet and cell phones. Without the constant and fast speed of light, many of the modern technologies we rely on would not be possible.