My issue with using eigenfunction expansion for ODEs

In summary, according to tiny-tim, the "eigenfunctions of the homogeneous problem" are cos(nx) (the boundary conditions were y(0)=y(pie)=0 ). It seems that this solution is only implied by the equation y''+lambda y=0, not by lambda being allowed to be =1. Tim is confused because he doesn't understand how y''+y=0 implies "homogeneous eigenfunctions" being cos(nx). Eric provides a summary of the content and states that Tim is confused because he doesn't understand how y''+y=0 implies "homogeneous eigenfunctions" being cos(nx).
ericm1234
I have previously taken PDE's and ODE's. I understand obtaining the equation y''+lambda*y=0 (lambda then giving the eigenvalues). But I've encountered now the use of eigenfunction expansion for an ODE; and what I don't understand, is that in solving it they're making some assumption that y''+y=0 (the homogeneous problem) is actually y''+lambda*y=0, hence where the 'eigenfunctions for the homogeneous problem' are coming from.
Or are they NOT making this assumption? I am confused. Please help

Physics news on Phys.org
hi ericm1234! :smile:

any polynomial differential equation can be factored into linear factors

eg, y'' + Ay' + By = 0 can written as (D2 + AD + B)y = 0, which can then be factored into (D - λ1)(D - λ2)y = 0, the two independent solutions of which are (D - λ1)y = 0 and (D - λ2)y = 0 :wink:

ericm1234 said:
I have previously taken PDE's and ODE's. I understand obtaining the equation y''+lambda*y=0 (lambda then giving the eigenvalues). But I've encountered now the use of eigenfunction expansion for an ODE; and what I don't understand, is that in solving it they're making some assumption that y''+y=0 (the homogeneous problem) is actually y''+lambda*y=0, hence where the 'eigenfunctions for the homogeneous problem' are coming from.
Or are they NOT making this assumption? I am confused. Please help
What, exactly is your problem? Certainly "y''+ y= 0" is of the form "y''+ lambda y= 0" with lambda= 1.

Tiny Tim:
I mean..I sort of see that. Not sure how it relates though to my problem..
HallsofIvy: My problem is understanding where the "eigenfunctions of the corresponding homogeneous problem" are coming from. I agree that you could say lambda=1 and attain y''+y=0. In this problem, the eigenfunctions of the corresponding homogeneous problem are cos(nx) ( the boundary conditions were y(0)=y(pie)=0 ).
It SEEMS TO ME that this is really ONLY implied by the equation y''+lambda y=0 , certainly not by lambda being allowed to be =1. I say this because, it is in utilizing the B.C.'s that we attain sin(lambda x)= 0, in turn Sqrt(lambda) pie=n pie, etc.
I guess I am missing something obvious in understanding the 'difference' between my memorization of the process from my PDE class and your assigning of lambda=1 simply.

We aren't too good at guessing games here.

If you tell us what problem you are trying to solve and the way you are solving it, step by step, somebody can probably help. Without that information, you know what you remembered (or mis-remembered) from your PDE class, but we dont!

y''+y=ax+cosx, y(0)=y(pie)=0 using eigenfunction expansion.
As I said, my issue is not solving this problem; it's understanding why eigenfunction expansion is a valid method, when in doing the eigenfunction expansion, you need "eigenfunctions of the homogeneous problem". Ok, so y''+y=0 is the homogeneous problem.
But the "eigenfunctions of the homogeneous problem", being cos(nx), come from the problem y''+lambda y=0, then using the B.C.'s, finding the appropriate values for lambda.
So, my question is essentially, how does y''+y=0 imply "homogeneous eigenfunctions" being cos(nx)?

y'' + λ2y = 0

(D2 + λ2)y = 0

(D + iλ)(D - iλ)y = 0

so the independent solutions are (D + iλ)y = 0 and (D - iλ)y = 0

ie dy/y = iλ and dy/y = -iλ

ie y = eiλt and y = e-iλt

so the general solution is y = Aiλt + Be-iλt

which we can also write as y = Acosλt + Bsinλt (different A and B, of course) :wink:

Yes Tim I see that..but in y''+y=0, there is no lambda.

λ = 1 :wink:

ericm1234 said:
Yes Tim I see that..but in y''+y=0, there is no lambda.
Yes, there is. [itex]\lambda= 1[/itex] as I pointed out and you agreed. By tiny-tim's "eigenvalue" analysis, the general solution is [itex]y= Ae^{ix}+ Be^{-ix}[/itex] or, equivalently, [itex]y(x)= C cos(x)+ B sin(x)[/itex].

I still don't understand what your difficulty is.

I think you (and possibly Tiny Tim as well) are getting confused by the terminology here.

The way I see it, you have TWO eigenfunctions, ##e^{ix}## and ##e^{-ix}##, or ##\cos x## and ##\sin x## if you prefer.

So the general solution is a linear combination of the two eigenfunctions, ##A \cos x + B \sin x##, and the boundary conditions fix the values of A and B.

The ##\lambda## comes in if you start from one step further back (which is hardly necessary for this problem). Assume the equation ##y'' + y = 0## has a solution of general form ##y = Ae^{\lambda x}##.
Substituting in the differential equation, you get ##A(\lambda^2 + 1) = 0##.
So either ##A = 0## (which is not a very interesting solution) or ##\lambda^2 + 1 = 0##. That is why ##\lambda = \pm i## are called "eigenvalues". Eigenvalue is just the German word for "specail value" - i.e. the values when you get "interesting" solutions. Another translation is "characteristic values", and ##\lambda^2 + 1 = 0## is sometimes called the "characteristic equation".

AlephZero said:
… possibly Tiny Tim as well) are getting confused by the terminology here.

i don't think i used any terminology (certainly not "eigenfunction") …

i just let the equations speak for themselves o:)

Thanks guys

What is an eigenfunction expansion?

An eigenfunction expansion is a mathematical technique used to solve ordinary differential equations (ODEs) by representing the solution as a linear combination of eigenfunctions, which are special functions that satisfy the equation.

Why is eigenfunction expansion commonly used for ODEs?

Eigenfunction expansion is commonly used for ODEs because it can provide an exact solution, unlike numerical methods which only provide an approximation. It also allows for the use of boundary conditions to find specific solutions.

What are the limitations of using eigenfunction expansion for ODEs?

The limitations of using eigenfunction expansion for ODEs include the need for the equation to have separable variables, the eigenfunctions must be known, and the expansion may not converge for all values of the independent variable. It is also not suitable for all types of ODEs, such as non-linear equations.

How do you determine the appropriate eigenfunctions for a given ODE?

The appropriate eigenfunctions for a given ODE can be determined by solving the characteristic equation of the ODE, which is obtained by substituting the eigenfunction into the equation. The solutions to the characteristic equation will be the eigenvalues, and the corresponding eigenfunctions can be found by substituting the eigenvalues back into the original equation.

Are there any alternatives to using eigenfunction expansion for solving ODEs?

Yes, there are alternative methods for solving ODEs, such as numerical methods including Euler's method and Runge-Kutta methods. These methods are particularly useful for non-linear equations or when an exact solution cannot be found. Other techniques, such as Laplace transforms and power series expansions, can also be used to solve ODEs.