Efficient Voltage Conversion for High Amperage CNC Machines

• Thread starter blakjakd
  • Start date
In summary, the speaker is looking for a way to reduce their 42V power supply to 30V for their CNC machine. They are having trouble finding a high amperage, 30V linear regulator and using a bunch of diodes in series is not a viable solution. They are suggested to try using AC/DC 12-48V to 1.5-38V 5A Converter Boards, which can be found on eBay for around $9 each.
blakjakd
Hi everyone,

I'm in the process of building a CNC machine. It is controlled by 3 stepper motors controlled by a driver board. Each motor uses 3A, and my board can only handle 36V.

How do I drop my 42V power supply to 30V?
-I can't find a high amperage, 30V linear regulator.
-A bunch of diodes in series to drop the voltage would not work because the current will drop when some motors are not in use.

Engineering news on Phys.org
You could try some of these:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/AC-DC-12-48V-1-5-38V-5A-Converter-Board-Step-Down-Voltage-Regulator-Module-/130590702707?pt=AU_B_I_Electrical_Test_Equipment&hash=item1e67cffc73

They are AC/ DC 12-48V to 1.5-38V 5A Converter Boards so that seems to fit in with your voltages.

About $9 each delivered.

1. How do you drop 42V to 30V at 9A?

There are several ways to drop voltage, but the most common method is to use a voltage regulator. A voltage regulator is an electronic device that can maintain a constant output voltage regardless of changes in input voltage or load. In this case, you would need a voltage regulator that can handle at least 9A of current and has an output voltage of 30V.

2. What is the purpose of dropping voltage from 42V to 30V?

Dropping voltage is necessary for a variety of reasons, such as stepping down the voltage to match the requirements of a specific electronic device or to protect the device from overvoltage. In this scenario, the purpose of dropping voltage is most likely to match the input voltage requirement of a particular device.

3. How much power will be lost when dropping 42V to 30V at 9A?

The amount of power lost depends on the efficiency of the voltage regulator. Ideally, a voltage regulator would have 100% efficiency, meaning no power would be lost. However, in reality, there will always be some power loss due to heat dissipation. The amount of power loss can be calculated by multiplying the voltage drop (42V-30V) by the current (9A), giving a total of 108 watts.

4. Can you use a resistor to drop the voltage instead of a regulator?

While it is possible to use a resistor to drop voltage, it is not recommended. A resistor will dissipate a significant amount of power, leading to significant heat generation and potential damage to the resistor. Additionally, a resistor cannot maintain a constant output voltage like a regulator, so the output voltage may vary depending on changes in input voltage or load.

5. What are the potential risks of dropping voltage from 42V to 30V at 9A?

The main risk of dropping voltage is that the voltage regulator may not be able to handle the current or may overheat if it is not properly sized for the job. It is crucial to use a voltage regulator that can handle the required current and has proper heat dissipation capabilities. Using a voltage regulator that is not suitable for the job could lead to device failure or even fire.