Problem involving tangent vector, normal vector, binormal vector and curvature

In summary, the student is trying to find a solution to a homework problem but is having trouble due to its complexity. He has tried different formulas and resources, but is still not able to solve it. He eventually e-mailed his professor for help.
nilesthebrave

Homework Statement

r(t)=cos(t)i+sin(t)j+sin(2t)k

Find the curvature κ, the unit tangent vector T, the principal normal vector N and the binormal vector B at t=0. Find the tangential and normal components of the acceleration at t=∏/4

Homework Equations

T(t)=r'(t)/|r'(t)|

N(t)=T'(t)/|T't|

B(t)=T(t)xN(t)

κ=|(dT/ds|=|T'(t)|/|r'(t)|=|r'(t)xr''(t)|/|r'(t)|^3

The Attempt at a Solution

I have tried every formula and attempted using double angle formulas and keep getting extremely messy and expressions that are getting too big and unwieldy to make sense. I've looked through my book repeatedly and tried using wolfram alpha and every resource I could think of and cannot find anything that covers how to handle only one trig function having a coefficient like that.

So I'm at a loss and after spending 4 hours on this I'm just frustrated to the point of burn out and just need help getting started or seeing what I'm missing to make this work. Part of me is hoping that it's a typo while the other part will rage.

So I don't know, I'm going to go cry in a corner now, thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, the derivative of T is a bit complicated but that is the only complicated part and it is only that- complicated, not impossible. I don't understand why you have not at least shown the work you have done. What did you get for T? What did you get for [itex]\kappa[/itex]?

Yes, I e-mailed my professor later after posting this and asked him if I was on the right track, to which he said yes.

I just felt I was doing something wrong since the expression just kept exploding and I've begun to associate that with me making a careless mistake somewhere. I'd tell you what I got but I had to turn it in this morning, but I think it all turned out. Thanks for the help though. :smile:

1. What are the tangent, normal, and binormal vectors in a 3D space?

The tangent vector is a vector that is tangent to a curve or surface at a specific point. The normal vector is perpendicular to the tangent vector and is used to determine the orientation of the curve or surface. The binormal vector is perpendicular to both the tangent and normal vectors and is used to determine the twisting or torsion of the curve or surface.

2. How are these vectors related to each other?

The tangent, normal, and binormal vectors are all mutually perpendicular to each other, meaning they form a right-handed coordinate system. This means that the tangent vector is perpendicular to both the normal and binormal vectors, and the normal vector is perpendicular to both the tangent and binormal vectors.

3. What is curvature and how is it calculated using the tangent and normal vectors?

Curvature is a measure of how much a curve or surface deviates from being straight or flat. It is calculated using the tangent and normal vectors at a specific point on the curve or surface. The formula for curvature is the magnitude of the rate of change of the tangent vector with respect to arc length, divided by the magnitude of the tangent vector.

4. How can the binormal vector be used to determine torsion?

Torsion is a measure of how much a curve or surface twists around its tangent vector. The binormal vector is used to calculate torsion by taking the dot product of the derivative of the tangent vector and the binormal vector. The magnitude of this dot product is the torsion value.

5. Can these concepts be applied to real-world problems?

Yes, these concepts are frequently used in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer graphics to model and analyze curves and surfaces in 3D space. They can also be applied to real-world problems such as calculating the trajectory of a projectile or designing a rollercoaster track.