Preparation and naming of coordination compounds

In summary, the conversation discusses the formation of coordination compounds involving Fe(II), H2O, Cl-, and NH4+. The specific compound [Fe(H2O)6]Cl2 is mentioned, but the question is raised about the possibility of other compounds. The conversation then explores various possibilities for other compounds with different co-ordination numbers and charges. Ultimately, it is concluded that there could potentially be 6 or 7 compounds formed, but it is not possible to determine the exact number without considering all possible cases.
Rujano

Homework Statement

Hi.
The combination of Fe(II), H2O, Cl- y NH4+ yields 3 coordination compounds, one of which is:

[Fe(H2O)6]Cl2

Which are the other ones?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Even though I sort of know how the compounds could be formed I don't why or rather , how can I tell that only 3 will be formed...

For instance, I think that some of the compounds could be:

(NH4)3[Fe(H2O)Cl5]

[Fe(H2O)3Cl3]Cl

(NH4)2[Fe(H2O)2Cl4]

How can I tell if they are correct? and how can I know that they should be three for example (in this case I already have four :S)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If you are talking about the co-ordination Number 6, then the following possibilities are there with Co-ordination Sphere:

1. Have +2 charge; [Fe(H2O)6]Cl2
2. Have +1 charge; [Fe(H2O)5Cl]Cl
3. Have 0 charge; [Fe(H2O)4Cl2]
4. Have -1 charge; NH4[Fe(H2O)3Cl3]
5. Have -2 charge; (NH4)2[Fe(H2O)2Cl4]
6. Have -3 charge; (NH4)3[Fe(H2O)Cl5]
7. Have -4 charge. (NH4)4[FeCl6]

See, I formed 6 or 7 compounds, So what could you be asking that the compulsory presence of mentioned species, either inside or outside the sphere. Then there can be 3.

Also, there's no way to tell what will happen until you write down all possible cases.

1. What is a coordination compound?

A coordination compound is a type of molecule that contains a central metal ion or atom surrounded by ligands, which are usually molecules or ions that bond to the central metal through shared electrons. These compounds are often brightly colored and have unique chemical and physical properties.

2. How are coordination compounds prepared?

Coordination compounds can be prepared through a variety of methods, such as reacting a metal salt with a ligand in solution, or by adding a ligand to a metal ion in the presence of a base. The specific method used depends on the desired compound and its properties.

3. What is the role of ligands in coordination compounds?

Ligands play a crucial role in coordination compounds by binding to the central metal ion and influencing the compound's properties. They can donate electrons to the metal ion, alter the geometry of the compound, and affect its color, stability, and reactivity.

4. How are coordination compounds named?

Coordination compounds are named using a specific set of rules established by the International Union of Pure and Applied Chemistry (IUPAC). The name typically includes the name of the ligands, followed by the central metal ion and its oxidation state, and any prefixes or suffixes to indicate the compound's overall charge.

5. What are some common applications of coordination compounds?

Coordination compounds have a wide range of applications in various fields, including medicine, agriculture, and industry. Some examples include using metal-based coordination compounds as catalysts in chemical reactions, using them in chemotherapy treatments, and using them in fertilizers to enhance plant growth.