The amount of power supplied/received by the dependent current source

In summary, the student is trying to solve a problem involving voltage and current, but they are having difficulty. They are using Ohm's law and KCL to try to find the voltage, but they are not getting anywhere. They are then given a way to solve the problem using the equivalent resistance of the two series resistors. The student is then able to find the voltage from the top node to the bottom node.
november1992

Homework Statement

http://imgur.com/jsIWS

Homework Equations

Ʃ [itex]V_{n}[/itex] = 0
Ʃ [itex]I_{n}[/itex] = 0
v = ir

The Attempt at a Solution

I combined the two 2Ω resistors into a single 4 Ω resistor because they're in series.

Then I tried to use KCL but I got 2 unknowns in one equation.

0.2A + [itex]\frac{Vi}{4}[/itex] = I

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi November,

Are you familiar with Mesh Current analysis? I think you are getting ahead of yourself when you add the two resistors together. Try leaving them separate and applying Mesh Current analysis. That should give you two equations and two unknowns.

Here is a short lesson on Mesh Current if you are unfamiliar with it or need a refresher:
http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/vol_1/chpt_10/3.html (The first problem is very similar to yours.)

I don't know the voltage of any of the devices in the circuit, so how can I use KVL?

Last edited:
Hmm, I may have given a more complicated method than necessary. If you were to use Mesh Current, you would draw the 2 current loops. When you have a current source in a loop, then you can just define that loop current as the value of the current source (i.e. I1 = 0.2 A, I2 = V1/4). I have noticed there is an easier way, using what you already have done.

If you only look at the top 2Ω resistor and write out Ohm's law in regards to it, that will give you a second equation that you can use with your first one in order to solve the problem.

Vi = 2I

0.2A + [itex]\frac{Vi}{4}[/itex] = I

0.2A = I - [itex]\frac{I}{2}[/itex]

0.4A = I

Did I do this right?

That's what I got!

You can always do an extra check by calculating the power produced (by the two current sources) vs. power consumed (by the two resistors). These should always be the same.

The formula for power is P = IV, P= [itex]I^{2}[/itex]R
So how can I check the power output of a current source?

P = IV still applies.

You know the current through the two resistors (0.4 A), and the equivalent resistance of the two series resistors is 4Ω. So to find the voltage from the top node to the bottom node, it's just:

V = IR
V = 0.4*4
V = 1.6 volts

Then P = IV!

Edit: And maybe I should be clear that 1.6 volts is also the voltage across each current source.

Do you mean the top and bottom nodes of the resistor or the current source? If you mean the resistor, then wouldn't the voltage drop be split between the two paths at the bottom node?

But it's in parallel so they would have the same voltage right?

Yep! I was just making a few doodles on the picture to illustrate that, so I'm going to post it anyways, even though you already got it. :smile:

Voltage_Nodes.png

1. How does the amount of power supplied/received by a dependent current source differ from an independent current source?

The amount of power supplied or received by a dependent current source is not determined solely by its own characteristics, but also by the characteristics of the independent current source it is dependent on. This means that the amount of power can vary depending on the specific values of the independent current source.

2. Can a dependent current source supply more power than it receives?

Yes, it is possible for a dependent current source to supply more power than it receives. This can happen when the independent current source has a higher voltage or current than the dependent current source, allowing it to provide more power to the circuit.

3. How does the type of dependent current source affect the power it supplies/receives?

The type of dependent current source, whether it is a voltage-controlled or current-controlled source, can affect the amount of power it supplies or receives. For example, a voltage-controlled source may supply more power when the controlling voltage is higher, while a current-controlled source may supply more power when the controlling current is higher.

4. Does the resistance of a dependent current source impact the amount of power it supplies/receives?

Yes, the resistance of a dependent current source can affect the amount of power it supplies or receives. A higher resistance can result in a lower amount of power being supplied or received, while a lower resistance can result in a higher amount of power.

5. How does the power supplied/received by a dependent current source change with circuit voltage?

The power supplied/received by a dependent current source can change with circuit voltage, but the specific relationship depends on the characteristics of the dependent and independent current sources in the circuit. In general, as the circuit voltage increases, the power supplied/received by the dependent current source may also increase, but this is not always the case.