More math for electrical engineering student

In summary: I don't think you need to learn abstract math in order to do telecommunications/signal processing, but I think it would be a good idea to learn it.
serhannn
Hi,

I have finished my bachelors in electrical engineering and now I will continue with masters in the same area, specifically in telecommunications/signal processing branch. I would not consider my mathematical background too weak, I have good knowledge of calculus and linear algebra. In the last semester of my bachelors, I took an abstract math class, number theory, and I quite liked it though it felt much harder for me in comparison to other classes like calculus, linear algebra and discrete math.

So, what would be the way to go now? I know that for telecommunications, I would probably need more numerical linear algebra, also maybe it would be a good idea to develop my calculus skills. I have also interest in it more abstract math, as I said, but I think for now, trying to properly learn analysis or abstract algebra would divert me from my actual focus, which is of course electrical engineering, in which pure math has barely any place. On the other hand, the process of learning abstract math would enhance my way of thinking and advance my toolbox in some other way. Do you think I could learn at least some basic pure math stuff in the time remaining from my engineering studies? Could anyone provide some motivation for that? :smile:

Thanks a lot.

Physics news on Phys.org
Complex analysis can get very abstract but is also applicable to EE. Also, Numerical analysis, PDE's, and wavelets can all be applied to EE. Many of my EE friends took classes like these during their studies.

One of the things that lead me from EE to math was that I was unsatisfied with the usual explanations of Euler's equation e^ix = cos x + i sin x. When I read Visual Complex Analysis, it answered this question more than one time, on a deeper level each time. Sometimes, it's nice to not just know what you need to know and get by, but to know the extra stuff that actually makes it interesting.

I'm an ME who's always played with electronics as a hobby, so perhaps I don't know what I'm talking about.

I would think telecommunications/signal processing would involve a lot of 2nd order diffs, transfer functions and s-domain stuff. Calculus at this point, should be second nature.

I understand the importance of a strong mathematical background in the field of electrical engineering. It is great to hear that you have a good foundation in calculus and linear algebra, as these are essential tools for understanding and solving problems in this field.

In terms of your next steps, it is important to focus on the specific areas of mathematics that are relevant to your field of telecommunications and signal processing. This may include numerical linear algebra, differential equations, and probability theory. It is also beneficial to continue developing your calculus skills, as it is a fundamental component of many engineering problems.

While abstract math may not have a direct application in electrical engineering, it can still enhance your problem-solving abilities and critical thinking skills. If you have the time and interest, I would encourage you to continue exploring abstract math, but it should not be at the expense of your engineering studies. You can always continue learning and studying pure math in your free time, even after completing your masters in engineering.

Overall, having a strong mathematical background will only benefit you in your future career as an electrical engineer. It will allow you to approach problems with a more analytical and systematic mindset, and give you a broader understanding of the underlying principles of your field. I wish you all the best in your studies and future endeavors.

1. What are the key concepts covered in "More math for electrical engineering students"?

The key concepts covered in this course include linear algebra, complex numbers, differential and integral calculus, differential equations, and Fourier analysis. These topics are crucial for understanding and solving problems in electrical engineering.

2. How will this course help me in my electrical engineering studies?

This course will provide you with a strong foundation in mathematical concepts that are essential for understanding and analyzing complex electrical systems. It will also help you develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills that are necessary for success in the field of electrical engineering.

3. Do I need to have a strong math background to take this course?

While having a strong math background is certainly beneficial, this course is designed to be accessible to students with varying levels of mathematical knowledge. The course starts with the basics and gradually builds upon them, making it suitable for both beginners and those with some prior math experience.

4. Are there any prerequisites for enrolling in this course?

Yes, this course assumes that students have a basic understanding of algebra, trigonometry, and geometry. It is also recommended to have some familiarity with concepts in physics and basic circuit analysis.

5. How will this course be taught?

This course will be taught through a combination of lectures, problem-solving sessions, and hands-on exercises. It may also include interactive simulations and real-world case studies to help students apply the concepts they have learned.