Lagrangian for velocity dependent potential

In summary: Yes, the principle of stationary action always leads to the euler lagrange equation. However, there are some special cases where this is not the case (for example, when the potential is dissipative). However, in general, the principle of stationary action always leads to the correct forces (dynamics).
aaaa202

Homework Statement

Show that if the potential in the Lagrangian contains-velocity dependent terms, the canonical momentum corresponding to the coordinate of rotation θ, is no longer the mechanical angular momentum but is given by:

p = L - Ʃn[itex]\bullet[/itex]ri x ∇viU

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Setting: L = T - V(qi,qi')
Lagranges equation must be satisfied***:
d/dt(∂L/∂qi') - ∂L/∂qi = 0
=>
d/dt(∂T/∂qi' - ∂V/∂qi') - ∂V/∂qi = 0
Am I on the right track?
I know I am supposed to use ∂ri/∂qi = nxr somewhere.

** Why is it that it MUST be satisfied?

Physics news on Phys.org
aaaa202 said:
Setting: L = T - V(qi,qi')
Lagranges equation must be satisfied***:
d/dt(∂L/∂qi') - ∂L/∂qi = 0
=>
d/dt(∂T/∂qi' - ∂V/∂qi') - ∂V/∂qi = 0
Am I on the right track?
I know I am supposed to use ∂ri/∂qi = nxr somewhere.

You are being asked to find the canonical momentum associated with the rotation coordinate [itex]\theta[/itex], so I would start with the definition of canonical momenta...which would be?

** Why is it that it MUST be satisfied?

If you are referring to the Euler-Lagrange equations, the we choose the generalized potential (and hence the Lagrangian) so that a stationary action [itex]\int_{t_1}^{t_2}Ldt[/itex] produces the correct physics. When the Lagrangian is defined as such, the Euler-Lagrange equations mathematically follow.

okay I solved it. But I'm still confused as to why the Euler Lagrange equations MUST be satisfied.
You can show that the principle of stationary action leads to the euler lagrange equation and for simple systems where the potential is conservative you can show directly that L=T-V where T is the kinetic energy and V the potential which again leads to Newtons laws of motion.
But how do you know that L=T-U for this weird velocity-dependent will also generate Newtons laws for the system it describes- without assuming that the principle of stationary action is actually the deeper principle. You must somehow be able to show that the principle of least action always leads to Newtons laws of motion, else I don't see why you can assume it is as general as it is.

aaaa202 said:
okay I solved it. But I'm still confused as to why the Euler Lagrange equations MUST be satisfied.
You can show that the principle of stationary action leads to the euler lagrange equation and for simple systems where the potential is conservative you can show directly that L=T-V where T is the kinetic energy and V the potential which again leads to Newtons laws of motion.
But how do you know that L=T-U for this weird velocity-dependent will also generate Newtons laws for the system it describes- without assuming that the principle of stationary action is actually the deeper principle. You must somehow be able to show that the principle of least action always leads to Newtons laws of motion, else I don't see why you can assume it is as general as it is.

The point is that you choose your generalized potential in a way that makes the principle of stationary action lead to the correct forces (dynamics). Your generalized potential is not just the path integral of some conservative force field, but rather it must be deduced from the appropriate force laws that describe your system.

Okay, but is it always possible to find the lagrangian for the system? I.e. can you always find a generalized potential such that the force laws can be derived from the euler lagrange equations?
I mean you can deduce Newtons laws and the lorentz force law, but is there a general theorem which states in what situations you can find a lagrangian that describes the system completely?

1. What is Lagrangian for velocity dependent potential?

Lagrangian for velocity dependent potential is a mathematical function used in classical mechanics to describe the dynamics of a system with a potential energy that depends on the velocity of the particles.

2. How is Lagrangian for velocity dependent potential different from traditional Lagrangian?

Traditional Lagrangian only considers potential energy that depends on the position of the particles, while Lagrangian for velocity dependent potential takes into account the potential energy that also depends on the velocity.

3. What is the significance of using Lagrangian for velocity dependent potential?

Using Lagrangian for velocity dependent potential allows for a more accurate and comprehensive description of the dynamics of a system, particularly in cases where the potential energy depends on both position and velocity.

4. How is Lagrangian for velocity dependent potential used in real-world applications?

Lagrangian for velocity dependent potential is commonly used in various fields such as astrophysics, celestial mechanics, and fluid dynamics to model the motion of particles and predict their trajectories.

5. Are there any limitations to using Lagrangian for velocity dependent potential?

One limitation of using Lagrangian for velocity dependent potential is that it can become quite complex and difficult to solve for systems with multiple particles. Additionally, it may not be applicable in cases where the potential energy is highly nonlinear.