What is the interpretation of ∅-∅?

• Thread starter Aziza
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Set
In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of ∅-∅ and how it is represented as the set containing all elements that are both in and not in the null set. It is clarified that this results in the null set, and the conversation ends with a reference to a song by Billy Preston.
Aziza
What is ∅-∅ equal to?
Logically this is represented as the set containing all x such that x[itex]\in[/itex]∅ and x[itex]\notin[/itex]∅. I am confused on how to interpret this...I think the answer would just be the null set, but I am not sure. Could someone please clarify this?

Physics news on Phys.org
Think of the subtraction of sets as the intersection of the one with the complement of the other. That is ∅[itex]\cap[/itex] ∅[itex]^{c}[/itex]

There is no ##x## for which ##x \in \emptyset## and ##x \notin \emptyset##, so there are no elements in ##\emptyset - \emptyset##.

Makes me think of the song quite a few years back, "Nothin' from nothin' leaves nothin." - Billy Preston, 1975

Mark44 said:
Makes me think of the song quite a few years back, "Nothin' from nothin' leaves nothin." - Billy Preston, 1975
Great post, Mark !

Aziza said:
What is ∅-∅ equal to?
Logically this is represented as the set containing all x such that x[itex]\in[/itex]∅ and x[itex]\notin[/itex]∅. I am confused on how to interpret this...I think the answer would just be the null set, but I am not sure. Could someone please clarify this?

That is exactly right. It may help to simplify that logical expression, because you can, for example, replace [itex]x \in \emptyset[/itex] with a truth value.

Or maybe slightly reorganizing it to the fact that

x is in ∅-∅​

is synonymous with

x[itex]\in[/itex]∅ and x[itex]\notin[/itex]∅​

What is the null set?

The null set, also known as the empty set, is a set that contains no elements. It is denoted by the symbol ∅.

What does it mean to subtract one null set from another?

Subtracting one null set from another means to remove all elements of the second set from the first set. Since both sets have no elements, the result will still be an empty set.

Why is the result of "null set minus null set" still a null set?

Since both sets have no elements, there are no common elements to be subtracted. Therefore, the result will always be an empty set.

Can the null set be subtracted from a non-null set?

Yes, the null set can be subtracted from a non-null set. The result will still be the non-null set, as subtracting an empty set from any set will not change the set's elements.

What is the cardinality of "null set minus null set"?

The cardinality, or size, of "null set minus null set" is 0, as the result is still an empty set with no elements.