Materials Science: Close packed vs closest packed

In summary, Close packing in volume refers to having the maximum number of nearest neighbors (12) and closest packing generally refers to the plane with the highest coordination number in the unit cell. Close packed lines have coordination number 2.
NoOne0507
Sorry if this is the wrong forum, but I figure it is the most relevant since it deal with crystal structures.

I'm taking a materials science course currently, and have some confusion on the definition of close packing. Since it seems to represent different things depending on if it is viewed linearly, planar, or with volume. Would someone just please clarify that I have these bits thought out correctly?

Volume: Close packed in volume refers to the maximum amount of nearest neighbors, which is 12. If it doesn't have CN=12, it is not close packed. There is also no "closest packed" structure we can view within a unit cell. It's either close packed or not.

Planes: Close packed planes will have atoms with CN=6. But there are also what are referred to as closest packed planes. Which is the plane in the unit cell with the highest CN, although it may not be equal to 6. For example, the body centered cubic has the closest packed plane on (1,0,1), with CN=4. It is the closest packed plane in that structure, but not a close packed plane.

Lines: Close packed lines are the directions that can be drawn in a unit cell that has the closest packing. Which basically means it has CN=2 on the line. There isn't a closest packed line, since there is really only 2 bonds on any given line.

That's about it. I want to make sure I have all the terminology right, and I don't have any misconceptions with it. I get the whole idea of packing, my teacher just never clarified the vocab.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Yes, you have the correct definitions for close packing. Close packing in volume refers to having the maximum number of nearest neighbors (12) and closest packing generally refers to the plane with the highest coordination number in the unit cell. Close packed lines have coordination number 2.

1. What is the difference between close packed and closest packed structures in materials science?

Close packed structures refer to the arrangement of atoms or molecules in a crystal lattice where the maximum number of particles are closely packed together, resulting in high packing efficiency. Closest packed structures, on the other hand, refer to the arrangement where the particles are arranged in a way that minimizes the empty spaces between them, resulting in the highest possible density.

2. What are the advantages of close packed structures in materials science?

Close packed structures have high packing efficiency, which means they can accommodate a large number of particles in a small space. This results in materials with high strength and hardness, making them ideal for structural applications.

3. What are some examples of materials with close packed structures?

Some examples of materials with close packed structures include metals such as gold, silver, and copper, as well as ionic compounds like sodium chloride and cesium chloride. These materials have a face-centered cubic (FCC) or hexagonal close-packed (HCP) crystal structure.

4. How does the close packing of atoms affect the properties of a material?

The close packing of atoms in a material leads to high density and strong interatomic bonds, resulting in materials with high strength, hardness, and thermal conductivity. However, it can also make the material more brittle and less ductile due to the limited movement of atoms.

5. Can materials with closest packed structures exist in nature?

Yes, materials with closest packed structures, such as diamond and graphite, can exist in nature. However, they are relatively rare compared to materials with close packed structures. These materials have a face-centered cubic (FCC) or hexagonal close-packed (HCP) crystal structure, with the atoms arranged in a way that minimizes the empty spaces between them.