Magnetic field from four parallel wires

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of Biot-Savart law to find the gradient of four parallel wires with finite length and varying currents. The suggestion is made to superimpose the fields from each individual wire and then resolve any issues to find an expression for the gradient in terms of the x and y components of the wires.
Niles

Homework Statement

Hi

I am looking at four parallel wires of finite length L, whose currents run in the directions shown in the attached figure. There is no gradient along the wire-axis, so from Maxwell's equation
[tex]
\frac{dB_x}{dx} = -\frac{dB_y}{dy} \equiv \tilde B.
[/tex]
In order to find an expression for the gradient [itex]\tilde B[/itex] given some current I, I need to use Biot-Savarts law. I think I need to make a binomial expansion for small displacements from the center, but I am not quite sure how to do this with the Biot-Savart law. I would really appreciate a hint.

Niles.

Attachments

• arrangement.jpg
    arrangement.jpg
    4.6 KB · Views: 574
Physics news on Phys.org
Or you could simply superimpose 4 fields from the individual wires. I would imagine you've already solved the field for a single wire, so B=B1+B2+B3+B4. Remember, the wires aren't all in the same direction, so you have to add some and subtract others.

Once you've resolved all your issues https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=645327, you should be able to write everything in terms of the x and y components of the 4 wires.

1. What is a magnetic field?

A magnetic field is a region in space where a magnetic force can be detected. It is created by moving electric charges, such as electrons, and is characterized by its direction and strength.

2. How is a magnetic field created by four parallel wires?

A magnetic field is created by four parallel wires when an electric current flows through them. The wires act as conductors, allowing the flow of electrons, which in turn creates a magnetic field around the wires.

3. What is the direction of the magnetic field from four parallel wires?

The direction of the magnetic field from four parallel wires is determined by the direction of the current flowing through the wires. The right-hand rule states that if you point your thumb in the direction of the current, your fingers will curl in the direction of the magnetic field.

4. What factors affect the strength of the magnetic field from four parallel wires?

The strength of the magnetic field from four parallel wires is affected by the magnitude of the current flowing through the wires, the distance between the wires, and the material of the wires. The closer the wires are together and the higher the current, the stronger the magnetic field will be.

5. How can the magnetic field from four parallel wires be used in practical applications?

The magnetic field from four parallel wires has several practical applications. It is used in electromagnets, motors, generators, and other devices that require the conversion of electrical energy into mechanical energy. It is also used in medical imaging, such as MRI machines, to create detailed images of the body. Additionally, it is used in electronic devices, such as speakers and headphones, to convert electrical signals into sound waves.