Using Shell method to solve Disk method Problem

In summary, The volume of the area enclosed by y=16-x^2, y=16, x=4, around y=16 can be found using the shell method. The shell height is 5-sqrt{25-y} and the radius is 4. The integration is from y=0 to y=16 and the final volume is 2\pi*896 or 5632\pi.
barapapupi

Homework Statement

Use the shell method to find the volume of the area enclosed by:

[itex]y= 16-x^2[/itex] , [itex]y= 16[/itex],[itex]x=4[/itex], around [itex]y=16[/itex]

Homework Equations

[tex]2\pi\int (shell height)( shell radius)[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried using the disk method and obtained [tex]\frac{1024}{5}*\pi[/tex]

but I'm having trouble because they as to specifically use the shell method and so far I think the [tex]shell height = 5 - \sqrt{25-y}[/tex] , but I have no idea how to get the radius, and is the integration on y=0 to y=25?

EDIT: Nevermind, I found the answer

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
. The radius would be the same as the circle that is generated when y=16. Thus, the radius = 4 and the integration would be from y=0 to y=16. 2\pi\int_{0}^{16} (16-y)(4) dy 2\pi\int_{0}^{16} 64-4y dy 2\pi[64y-2y^2]_0^16 2\pi(1024-128) 2\pi*896 = 5632\pi

What is the difference between using the Shell method and the Disk method to solve a problem?

The Shell method and the Disk method are two different approaches to finding the volume of a solid of revolution. The main difference is that the Shell method involves integrating along the axis of rotation, while the Disk method involves integrating across the radius of the solid.

When should I use the Shell method instead of the Disk method?

The Shell method is typically used when the axis of rotation is vertical, while the Disk method is used when the axis of rotation is horizontal. However, there are some cases where both methods can be used, and it may come down to personal preference or which method is easier to set up and integrate.

What is the formula for using the Shell method?

The formula for using the Shell method is V = ∫2πrh(x)dx, where r is the distance from the axis of rotation to the shell, h(x) is the height of the shell at a given point x, and the integral is taken over the range of x values that represent the solid of revolution.

Can I use the Shell method to find the volume of any solid of revolution?

Yes, the Shell method can be used to find the volume of any solid of revolution as long as the axis of rotation is vertical. This includes solids formed by rotating a region bounded by a curve around a vertical axis, such as a parabola or a sine curve.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when using the Shell method?

One common mistake when using the Shell method is forgetting to take into account the thickness of the shells. This can lead to an incorrect volume calculation. Additionally, it is important to correctly identify the axis of rotation and set up the integral in the correct direction. It is also important to carefully choose the limits of integration and correctly evaluate the integral.