D Meson Decay: Neutral D-Meson Branching Ratios

In summary: Mixing frequency ##x = (0.61 \pm 0.04) \times 10^{-3}##, phase difference ##y = (4.5 \pm 1.0) \times 10^{-3}##.In summary, the branching ratio of neutral D-meson decay is determined by weak interactions and intermediate photons are only involved in electromagnetic interactions. The observed decays with the highest branching ratios are 1. D --> negative kaon + positive pion and 3. D --> positive kaon + negative pion, due to the dominance of weak interactions over electromagnetic ones. The decay 2. D --> positive pion + negative pion has a lower branching ratio due to the involvement of
kokolovehuh
Hi all,
I have a question regarding to the branching ratio of neutral D-meson decay.
Give three decays:
1. D --> negative kaon + positive pion
2. D --> positive pion + negative pion
3. D --> positive kaon + negative pion

The one with highest branching ratio is 1. due to its non-cross generation mixing. However, my question is: why isn't 2 more likely since D-meson can decay into two photons and split into two pairs of quarks? It's because Intermediate photons are involved with EM interactions, which dominate over weak interactions (1 and 3 b/c they don't conserve strangeness).

O.

Physics news on Phys.org
The first thing to notice is you MUST have a weak transition. So the leading order will be a weak-tree diagram, with NO photons (as that would be next order in QED).

These are the weak transitions right?

c-> s + dbar u
ubar-> ubar

= K- pi+

c->d + dbar u
ubar-> ubar
= pi- pi+

c->d + sbar u
ubar-> ubar
= K+ pi-

c->s + sbar u
ubar -> ubar
= K+ K-

So in this order we have:
Vcs Vud ~ 1 * 1
Vcd Vud ~ (-lambda) * 1
Vcd Vus ~ (-lambda) * (lambda)
Vcs Vus ~ 1 * (lambda)

where lambda ~ 0.2257

I imagine this is the first reason why they're ordered thusly.

Yea, I see how this works like that.
But as I mentioned before, since 'positive pion + negative pion' can be produced through two photons why wouldn't it be produced more often than the ones from weak interaction?

Also a stupid question, when do you take the Vxx to be negative? Vxx = any element in KM matrix

If you want #2 to proceed via two virtual photons, why would you not have an even larger branching fraction into two real photons?

Vanadium 50, it's probably because of some CP conservation; so we have pions as products. This is why the intermediate photons are only virtual and we need quarks to be produced.

No, that's not your problem. A D0 is not in a CP eigenstate.

##D^0 \to \gamma \gamma## is not observed yet, with 2.5*10-5 as upper limit on the branching fraction (~1/5 of the WS ##D^0 \to K^+ \pi^-## BF). It needs weak and electromagnetic interaction at the same time. Why do you want photons in the diagram? Gluons would do the same, just with a stronger coupling. It cannot compete with the singly cabibbo suppressed tree diagram, however.

If you look at the -> KK, Kpi, pipi branching fractions (and similar -> K pi pi pi, -> K K K pi and so on), powers of lambda dominate.
At least roughly:
BF ##D^0 \to \pi^+ \pi^-## is 0.14%
BF ##D^0 \to K^+ K^-## is 0.40%

And of course there is mixing... HCP2012 will have some news about that (14. November).

Last edited:
mfb, it does make whole lot more sense now; thanks a lot

btw Vanadium 50, (correct me if I'm wrong) you don't need a particle decay to be in CP eigenstate to conserve charge conjugation/parity in any non-weak interactions.

I was trying to point you in the right direction - or at least away from the wrong one.

What is a D meson decay?

A D meson decay is a process in which a neutral D-meson particle, composed of a charm quark and an up or down antiquark, transforms into other particles.

What are neutral D-meson branching ratios?

Neutral D-meson branching ratios refer to the probabilities of different decay modes occurring in a neutral D-meson decay. They represent the fraction of decays that result in a particular set of particles.

Why is studying neutral D-meson branching ratios important in physics?

Studying neutral D-meson branching ratios allows scientists to better understand the fundamental interactions and symmetries of the universe. By analyzing the probabilities of different decay modes, physicists can test and refine theories such as the Standard Model.

How are neutral D-meson branching ratios measured?

Neutral D-meson branching ratios are typically measured using large particle accelerators, such as the Large Hadron Collider. Scientists can also use data from particle collisions to calculate branching ratios.

What is the current state of research on neutral D-meson branching ratios?

Research on neutral D-meson branching ratios is ongoing and constantly evolving. Scientists are continually working to improve measurement techniques and analyze data to better understand the properties of these particles and their decays.