Is Impressing Others a Reflection of Low Self-Esteem?

• Thread starter Stanley_Smith
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the idea of constantly trying to impress others and its potential relation to survival and recognition. The concept is compared to the behavior of young gazelles trying to show their strength to lions. There is also a discussion on the possible underlying reasons for this behavior, such as low self-esteem.
Stanley_Smith
Do we have to always impress others?

If we try to impress other people all the time; then obviously we are trying to reach their expectation and keep changing ourselves ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Or maybe we only impress certain people...who we feel we can gain something from.

Stanley_Smith said:
Do we have to always impress others?

If we try to impress other people all the time; then obviously we are trying to reach their expectation and keep changing ourselves ?

Francis Fukuyama, yea that's his name, wrote a book entitled, "The End of History and The Last Man". I say it's all a matter of survival. He said it's all a matter of "recognition". We all strive to be recognized. See, see, that's what I'm doing now right? From my Darwinian perspective, I see it in the same light as the young gazelles jumping about showing the lions their strength as if to say, "don't bother running after me, I'm too fast". So perhaps in this regards, humans use a different coin.

why do ppl have to try and impress other ppl by starting forums about impressing ppl?... :P j/k. you might be able to say that it has something to do with evolution but i would say that it is mainly a way for ppl w/low self esteem to feel better. it might not be their expectations, it might be our expectations of their expectations...

What does it mean to "impress someone"?

Impressing someone means to make a positive and lasting impression on them. This can be achieved through various actions or behaviors that showcase your skills, talents, or positive qualities.

How can I impress someone?

Impressing someone can be achieved through many different ways. Some examples include showcasing your knowledge or expertise on a topic, performing a skill or talent, or simply being kind, attentive, and respectful towards them.

Why is it important to impress someone?

Impressing someone can lead to positive outcomes such as gaining their respect, building a positive relationship, or even opening up opportunities for personal or professional growth. It can also boost your own self-confidence and self-esteem.

Can I impress someone without being fake?

Yes, it is possible to impress someone without being fake. In fact, being genuine and authentic is often more impressive than putting on a facade. Focus on showcasing your genuine strengths and qualities rather than trying to be someone you're not.

What are some common mistakes people make when trying to impress someone?

Some common mistakes people make when trying to impress someone include being overly boastful or arrogant, trying too hard, or not being genuine. It's important to be confident, but also humble and authentic in your approach to impressing someone.