What should I name my teenage sci-fi heroine?

• Thread starter AMRpro
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Scifi
In summary, the conversation is about a first-time writer seeking a name for their 14 year old female protagonist that connotes both vulnerability and strength. Some suggestions for names and resources were given, including a list of sci-fi names and a website for finding names in other languages. A made up name, Pajęczyna, was also suggested and discussed. The conversation concludes with the writer thanking for the suggestions and borrowing the name Pajęczyna.
AMRpro
Hello all,

I am a first-time writer. I'm writing science fiction, and I'm trying to name my protagonist. She is a 14 yo girl, and I'm trying to come up with a name that could connote both vulnerable and strong.

Any name ideas, or name resource ideas (in addition to the OSC one I found in the sticky'd thread)?

Thanks.

AMR

Physics news on Phys.org
Jimmy is a good name.

But it's probably not what you're looking for.

Mildred or Leota? Guess not. Why don't you try a conlang name?

Pajęczyna.

Borek said:
Pajęczyna.

Is that Polish for "this thread is a year old"?

Crystal
Eggshell

Vanadium 50 said:
Is that Polish for "this thread is a year old"?

In a twisted way - yes, it can be understand this way.

Borek said:
Pajęczyna.

Cooooool...I am going to borrow that! :D
In what sense is it usually used though? Gossamer is so much more flattering than cobweb...
(Pajęczyna Kronanwalt*...I love google translate...)
*work in progress

If I may take the question literally:

Strong in other languages: findthedata.org

The word Vulnerable doesn't come up on the tool, so using "tender": findthedata.org

And then mashing together some interesting sounding ones:

Tamu Stark

Voimanis

Imara Dolce

Strafmör

Salemanis

Enigman said:
Cooooool...I am going to borrow that! :D
In what sense is it usually used though? Gossamer is so much more flattering than cobweb...

Cobweb. There is no single word for gossamer in Polish.

Ah well, one can't have everything...
Thanks for the name!

What factors should be considered when naming a scifi character?

When naming a scifi character, it is important to consider the character's personality, background, and role in the story. It should also fit within the overall theme and setting of the story.

Should the name be unique or familiar?

It depends on the story and the character. Unique names can add an otherworldly quality to the character, while familiar names can make them more relatable. It's important to strike a balance and consider what will work best for the character and the story.

Should a scifi character's name have a special meaning?

It is not necessary for a scifi character's name to have a special meaning, but it can add depth and symbolism to the character. It can also help to tie in their name with their origins or abilities.

What are some common naming conventions for scifi characters?

Some common naming conventions for scifi characters include using futuristic or alien-sounding names, combining words or parts of words to create a unique name, or using symbols or numbers in the name. It is also common to use names that reflect the advanced technology or societal norms of the story's setting.

How can I ensure my scifi character's name is memorable?

To ensure your scifi character's name is memorable, it should be easy to pronounce and spell, and it should stand out from other characters in the story. It can also help to give the character a unique nickname or title that readers can easily remember.