Oxidation and reduction problems

In summary: No, because the compound containing the hydrogen ion aka HCl lost the chlorine and gains oxygen so it was not oxidized.
sgstudent
When something is oxidized, it gains oxygen, loses hydrogen or loses electron. However, if the substance gains something else other than oxygen then it won't be considered oxidation anymore? For instance H+ +OH- -->H2O so in this case it seems that the H+ gained oxygen from OH- but actually the H+ ion was not oxidized as the full reaction is HCl+NaOH-->H2O+NaCl so the compound containing the hydrogen ion aka HCl lost the chlorine and gains oxygen so it was not oxidized?

So is saying a compound gains oxygen too vague? Because if the substance loses and gains something else other than oxygen then the substance might not be oxidized at all? I think it would apply for the gain or lost in hydrogen as well. Because it appears that the hydroxide ion gained another hydrogen, however it was not reduced.

That being said when Cr2O7 2- +14H+ +6e-->2Cr3+ +7H2O, how are we going to explain how it became reduced?

We can't use the gain of hydrogen as Cr3+ does not contain any hydrogen and can't use the lost in oxygen as besides losing oxygen it lost a cation in Cr2O7 2- and gained an anion in Cr3+. So how should I explain its reduction without using oxidation states?

Thanks for the help :)

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Oxidation is loosing electrons, reduction is gaining them.

Alkim said:
Oxidation is loosing electrons, reduction is gaining them.

Oh but can i say the Cr2O7 2- gains electrons? Since the actual base equation given is oxidant+electron(s) ->product.

Thanks for the help :)

Another way of seeing it is: Cr6+ + 3e- -> Cr3+

Alkim said:
Another way of seeing it is: Cr6+ + 3e- -> Cr3+

Hi thanks for the reply :smile:

Oh I didn't know I could do that. But in this case is it possible for me to explain it by losing oxygen?

1. What is oxidation and reduction?

Oxidation and reduction are chemical reactions that involve the transfer of electrons between atoms or molecules. Oxidation is when an atom or molecule loses electrons, and reduction is when an atom or molecule gains electrons.

2. How can you identify oxidation and reduction reactions?

Oxidation reactions involve an increase in the oxidation state of an atom or molecule, while reduction reactions involve a decrease in the oxidation state. Additionally, oxidation reactions tend to involve the formation of oxygen bonds, while reduction reactions involve the breaking of oxygen bonds.

3. What is the difference between oxidation and reduction potential?

Oxidation potential refers to the tendency of a substance to undergo oxidation, while reduction potential refers to the tendency to undergo reduction. Oxidation potential is measured in volts and indicates the strength of the oxidizing agent, while reduction potential is measured in volts and indicates the strength of the reducing agent.

4. How do oxidation and reduction reactions affect the stability of a substance?

Oxidation reactions tend to make a substance less stable, as they involve the loss of electrons and a decrease in the number of chemical bonds. On the other hand, reduction reactions tend to make a substance more stable, as they involve the gain of electrons and an increase in the number of chemical bonds.

5. How are oxidation and reduction reactions important in everyday life?

Oxidation and reduction reactions play a crucial role in many everyday processes, such as combustion (burning of fuel), metabolism (breaking down of food for energy), and corrosion (rusting of metal). These reactions also allow for the production of important products, such as batteries and fertilizers.