Exploring the Possibility of a Subspace Sphere in TNG Season 6

In summary, the conversation discusses the plausibility of constructing a sphere or ringworld entirely around a star. While it may be theoretically possible, it would require a highly advanced civilization with access to vast amounts of raw materials. The idea is explored in Larry Niven's novels, which are based on real engineering and theory. Many career scientists, including those with classified projects, are fascinated by this type of "hard" science fiction.
munky99999
TNG season 6 Relics

Well I figure that they likely don't exist. But the theory that you could construct the sphere entirely around a star.

Is this even plausible?

Wouldn't heat and radiation eventually build up quite a bit.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
If you could pull it off (our civilization would have to be VERY MUCH further advanced and have access to LOTS of raw materials - I hope the Understatement Police aren't monitoring my computer, or I'm in big trouble), you would have quite a problem on your hands. Not only would you be getting radiation pressure from the sun on every portion of the sphere, you would be getting radiation pressure from every other part of the sphere that is not perfectly absorbing.

A ringworld would be marginally more do-able, but would still be far beyond the capacity of our civilization for any conceivable time into the future. An advantage (bootstrapping) is that the more effective radiation collectors you have, the more efficiently you could produce more collectors, providing that you're able to access more matter and scale up production as the increased energy comes on-line. Larry Niven's novels are a great place to pursue ideas like this. They are dated, but they are based on real (contemporary to publishing dates) engineering and theory. I know some career scientists, including a man who is in his 80's and STILL can't tell me any details about projects he worked on (classified), and you would be surprised how many of them are fascinated with "hard" science fiction .

1. What is a Subspace Sphere?

A Subspace Sphere is a theoretical construct in the Star Trek universe that is capable of creating a stable subspace field. It is believed that this technology can be used for propulsion, communication, and even time travel.

2. How is the Subspace Sphere explored in TNG Season 6?

In TNG Season 6, the concept of a Subspace Sphere is explored in the episode "Relics". The crew of the Enterprise-D encounters a Dyson Sphere, which is a massive structure that harnesses the energy of a star. The Dyson Sphere is essentially a Subspace Sphere on a larger scale.

3. Is the Subspace Sphere technology possible in real life?

At this time, Subspace Sphere technology is purely fictional and not possible in real life. However, some elements of the technology, such as subspace communication, are currently being researched and developed by scientists.

4. What are the potential benefits of a Subspace Sphere?

If Subspace Sphere technology were to become a reality, it could revolutionize space travel and communication. It could also potentially lead to advancements in time travel and energy production.

5. Are there any drawbacks or potential dangers to using a Subspace Sphere?

As with any advanced technology, there are always potential dangers and drawbacks. Some possible concerns with a Subspace Sphere could include the destabilization of subspace, potential effects on the fabric of space-time, and ethical considerations surrounding the use of such powerful technology.