Solving Circuit Problems Using KVL, KCL, and Ohm's Law - Homework Help

In summary, the student is trying to solve an equation for the potentials in a current divider, but is having trouble because they have real world components and ideal components don't have physical dimensions. The potentials are the same as the connecting wire.
Miscing

Homework Statement

http://i.imgur.com/ij4eHqM.png?1?5000

Homework Equations

KVL, KCL, Ohm's Law, I guess

The Attempt at a Solution

Tried node analysis but I get 4 equations in 5 variables, so no specific solution. I don't think the circuit can be simplified either. A friend suggested mesh analysis but I don't think that works here because we have loops but they aren't meshes. I'd like just a hint in the right direction please, perhaps what approach I should try, I'd still like to do most of it myself. Thanks :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Consider that no current can flow across the open circuit where Vo is measured. Thus you have a current divider situation for the two branches, and you should be able to determine the currents and thus the individual potentials for Va and Vb:
attachment.php?attachmentid=57295&stc=1&d=1364705207.gif

Attachments

• Fig1.gif
    Fig1.gif
    5.4 KB · Views: 503
gneill said:
Consider that no current can flow across the open circuit where Vo is measured. Thus you have a current divider situation for the two branches, and you should be able to determine the currents and thus the individual potentials for Va and Vb:
attachment.php?attachmentid=57295&stc=1&d=1364705207.gif

Thank you, I managed to get the right answer with that help. Physically, what happens in terms of the resistors at the open terminals + and - of v0 once the current is turned on?

I imagine that initially (for a brief amount of time) we have current flowing one-way into both open terminals, where charge builds up until the terminals reach the same potential as at Va and Vb, respectively. At that point current stops flowing, so there's no drop across the terminal resistors (2k and 4k) and the terminal potentials are simply equal to Va and Vb? Is this right?

Miscing said:
Thank you, I managed to get the right answer with that help. Physically, what happens in terms of the resistors at the open terminals + and - of v0 once the current is turned on?

I imagine that initially (for a brief amount of time) we have current flowing one-way into both open terminals, where charge builds up until the terminals reach the same potential as at Va and Vb, respectively. At that point current stops flowing, so there's no drop across the terminal resistors (2k and 4k) and the terminal potentials are simply equal to Va and Vb? Is this right?

Yes, that's it for 'real' components. Ideal components have no physical size, so the transient time would be infinitesimally short.

gneill said:
Yes, that's it for 'real' components. Ideal components have no physical size, so the transient time would be infinitesimally short.

You're a champion, thanks for your help :)

gneill said:

Actually one more question; what would be the final potential inside each resistor in a realistic and ideal circuit? Are they just at the same potential as the connecting wire?

Miscing said:
Actually one more question; what would be the final potential inside each resistor in a realistic and ideal circuit? Are they just at the same potential as the connecting wire?

Yup. Same potential. No current.

gneill said:
Yup. Same potential. No current.

1. How do I approach solving circuit problems?

The first step in solving any circuit problem is to draw a circuit diagram. This will help you visualize the problem and understand the connections between different components. Next, use Ohm's Law and Kirchhoff's Laws to analyze the circuit and solve for unknown values.

2. What are the common mistakes to avoid when solving circuit problems?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving circuit problems include not properly labeling the circuit diagram, forgetting to convert units, and not using the correct formulas or laws. It is also important to double-check your calculations and make sure they are consistent with the laws and principles of circuit analysis.

3. How do I handle complex circuits in my homework?

For complex circuits, it is helpful to break them down into smaller, simpler circuits and solve for each part separately. You can then combine the solutions to get the overall solution for the complex circuit. It is also important to use the correct techniques and laws for each type of circuit, such as series or parallel circuits.

4. What resources can I use to help me with my circuit problem homework?

There are many resources available to help with circuit problem homework, including textbooks, online tutorials, and practice problems. Your professor or TA can also provide guidance and clarification on any concepts or problems you may be struggling with.

5. How can I check my answer to make sure it is correct?

One way to check your answer is to use a simulator or circuit analysis software to simulate the circuit and compare your calculated values to the simulated values. You can also use the laws and principles of circuit analysis to verify your solution. Additionally, checking your units and making sure they are consistent can also help confirm the accuracy of your answer.