What is the purpose of the phase shift test in a black box?

• Thread starter Turion
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Box Test
In summary, the author is trying to solve a problem with the multimeter, oscilloscope, signal generator, and black box. They are unclear on what the symbols mean and why the circuit is designed the way it is. There are mistakes in the diagrams that need to be addressed.
Turion

Homework Statement

So in the future, I will have to find out what is inside a black box:

A Black Box is actually a grey metal box with two terminals sticking out of it. Inside are two passive components, one is a resistor and the other may be a capacitor or an inductor, and they way they are connected may be either in series or in parallel. The point of the test is to use a multimeter, a function generator, and an oscilloscope to determine what components are inside, how they are connected, and their values, to within about 10%. There are four possible cases; RC-series, RC-parallel, RL-series and RL-parallel.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Here is the solution to it: http://drunkenengineer.tripod.com/Year1/ele202/blackbox/blackbox.html

The issue is that I'm having trouble understanding why the guide uses those techniques/tests.

I understand the ohmmeter test. The reason why the ohmmeter would give a reading of infinity if it is a rc-series box is because capacitors act as open circuits to DC.

Questions:

1. Phase Shift Test: we have to make a circuit. It consists of a signal generator, an oscilloscope, a black box, and the attached symbol. The attached symbol is just a signal generator, right? And functions generators are the same as signal generators, right? The shape of the circuit looks weird. What is the motive behind the circuit designed like this?
  2. Inductor test: I don't understand the circuit diagram. A and B are two different channels, right? So where would the other ends of the channels be connected? What is the motive behind the circuit designed like this?

Attachments

• symbol.png
    symbol.png
    2.9 KB · Views: 531
Physics news on Phys.org
Their hookup diagram is somewhat strange all right.

They seemingly show Ya and Yb both hooked to ground and to each other! But probably what is meant is the cables from the signal generator and the oscilloscope are all coax with the outer conductors (the braids) going to a common tie-point we can call "ground". You don't need to actually connect the braids to a water pipe or other "earth ground".

Actually, the 'scope inputs should be via 1 Meg or 10 Meg 'scope probes with the signal generator coax inner conductor = Ya and the braid connected to "ground". The clip wires from the 'scope probes will also go to ground as will the low side of the 20 ohm resistor.

There is a mistake in one of the four phasor diagrams. Under "RL parallel" it shows V_L lagging V_R by 90 deg whears in reality the two are obviously in phase (phase angle = 0). And it shows V_L getting smaller for larger w which is also wrong. But all four bottom waveforms are correct so concentrate on those.

EDIT: the more I look at the phasors, the more mistakes I see. I would ignore the phasor diagrams completely.

Last edited:
Thank you so much for responding. Sorry if I seem like a beginner. This is my first course in Electric Circuit Analysis and the rate that they're teaching concepts makes it hard to understand what is exactly going on.

rude man said:
Their hookup diagram is somewhat strange all right.

They seemingly show Ya and Yb both hooked to ground and to each other! But probably what is meant is the cables from the signal generator and the oscilloscope are all coax with the outer conductors (the braids) going to a common tie-point we can call "ground". You don't need to actually connect the braids to a water pipe or other "earth ground".

I'm not sure if I understand the diagram. I've redrawn it using what I think I understand. It is attached as lab-test.png. So channel A essentially measures the voltage across the black box, and channel B measures the voltage across the the 20 ohm resistor, right? I still don't understand what that symbol means with the sine curve inside it (see attachment in first post). I've inserted a filler symbol for the lab-test.png diagram I drew.

What exactly do you mean by "cables from the signal generator and the oscilloscope are all coax"? What does it mean for cables to be coax? Does it mean that they are connected together? The braids are just ground, right?

In the instructions, it reads:

Display both channels on the scope and trigger off Channel A, set both channels to AC coupling. Adjust the time divisions to display the largest full wave of channel A. Play with the frequency until you get a good separation between the channel A and channel B waveforms.

Why exactly are we setting it to AC coupling? Don't you use DC coupling to measure both DC and AC? AC coupling is only when there is an AC voltage superimposed on a DC voltage, right? There is no DC source in the circuit.

Then it reads:

VA = channel A = voltage across test circuit
VB = channel B = current through test circuit

As I said earlier, I thought "channel B measures the voltage across the the 20 ohm resistor." I don't understand how they converted it to current.

rude man said:
There is a mistake in one of the four phasor diagrams. Under "RL parallel" it shows V_L lagging V_R by 90 deg whears in reality the two are obviously in phase (phase angle = 0). And it shows V_L getting smaller for larger w which is also wrong. But all four bottom waveforms are correct so concentrate on those.

EDIT: the more I look at the phasors, the more mistakes I see. I would ignore the phasor diagrams completely.

So just to make sure I understand you correctly, you're saying to ignore the stuff outlined in red in the attachment (Untitled.png), right?

Attachments

• lab-test.png
    lab-test.png
    8.7 KB · Views: 597
  • Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    38.7 KB · Views: 447
Last edited:
Turion said:
Thank you so much for responding. Sorry if I seem like a beginner. This is my first course in Electric Circuit Analysis and the rate that they're teaching concepts makes it hard to understand what is exactly going on.

I'm not sure if I understand the diagram. I've redrawn it using what I think I understand. It is attached as lab-test.png. So channel A essentially measures the voltage across the black box, and channel B measures the voltage across the the 20 ohm resistor, right? I still don't understand what that symbol means with the sine curve inside it (see attachment in first post). I've inserted a filler symbol for the lab-test.png diagram I drew.

Your diagram confuses me. The original is better. I would say redraw the original but leave out the "ground" wires. You show two generators when there is only one. Yes, channel 1 to the 'scope is the voltage across the box, but actually it includes the 20 ohm resistor but you are to think of this as a wire as far as the voltage is concerned. Ch. 2 to the 'scope is the voltage across the 20 ohm which represents the current thru the box (=Vch.2/20).

The symbol you speak of is the signal generator. A function generator is the same thing. It's called 'function' because it can generate signals other than sine waves (e.g. triangular, square, etc.) but you will be using strictly sine waves.
What exactly do you mean by "cables from the signal generator and the oscilloscope are all coax"? What does it mean for cables to be coax? Does it mean that they are connected together? The braids are just ground, right?

Sorry. "Coax" is short for "coaxial". The cable consists of an inner conductor and an outside shield or braid. Have you ever looked at 75 ohm TV or cable tv coax? Same thing. The 'scope probes are also coax. The braid connection is usually a short bit of wire with an alligator clip. The "hot" side is connected by clips built into the probes, usually.

In the instructions, it reads:
?
Why exactly are we setting it to AC coupling? Don't you use DC coupling to measure both DC and AC? AC coupling is only when there is an AC voltage superimposed on a DC voltage, right? There is no DC source in the circuit.

You are not looking for dc response. You are using a function generator that can produce low-frequency sine waves but not dc (make sure the "bias" is set to zero offset which means zero Vdc.
Then it reads:
?
As I said earlier, I thought "channel B measures the voltage across the the 20 ohm resistor." I don't understand how they converted it to current.
Current = voltage/resistance. You are measuring the current by measuring the voltage across the 20 ohm and converting it to current: i = V/R.

So just to make sure I understand you correctly, you're saying to ignore the stuff outlined in red in the attachment (Untitled.png), right?[/QUOTE]

Yes, absolutely. Whoever came up with that section must have been in an awful hurry.

Hmm... it seems that I have a major problem understanding this diagram.

rude man said:
You show two generators when there is only one.

So you are saying that the original diagram only has one function generator? I've attached the original diagram with the two function generators that I see.

Attachments

• untitled.PNG
    untitled.PNG
    109 KB · Views: 470
Turion said:
Hmm... it seems that I have a major problem understanding this diagram.

So you are saying that the original diagram only has one function generator? I've attached the original diagram with the two function generators that I see.

There is only one generator. Why they show it twice is another mystery. Maybe they wanted to emphasize the schematic nature of the generator.

Remove the wiring where it says : ... added for simplicity ...". Those wires look like they're shorting everything out! But be aware that you need to run the low side of the generator, the 20 ohm resistor and the two scope probe braids to a common tie-point called "ground".

Alright, here is my next attempt to redraw it. Is this any good? I've removed ground.

Attachments

• lab-test.pdf
    17.6 KB · Views: 228
Still not right.

Do you have PowerPoint? I could maybe whip up something.

Never mind. Look at this.

Attachments

• Presentation1.pdf
    13.5 KB · Views: 231
rude man said:
Never mind. Look at this.

Really? That's it? They made it look much more complicated to be honest. They did such a poor job drawing something so simple. So it looks like the resistor is in series with the black box?

I think I get that part of the guide now. Thanks!

One quick question: you wrote "B channel measures i = V/20 ohms."

You mean channel B measures V and we vertically compress the sine wave by a factor of 20 to get current, right?

Turion said:
One quick question: you wrote "B channel measures i = V/20 ohms."

You mean channel B measures V and we vertically compress the sine wave by a factor of 20 to get current, right?

You can't talk of " ... compressing a sine wave by a factor of 20 ...". You are measuring a voltage across the 20 ohm and by Ohm's law, i = V/R.You read V on the scope B channel and you know 20 ohms so you know i.

Turion said:
Really? That's it? They made it look much more complicated to be honest. They did such a poor job drawing something so simple. So it looks like the resistor is in series with the black box?

Yes. If you think about it, it's going to modify the impedance inside the black box but the idea is it's so small that it's almost just a wire compared to the resistance inside your blk box.

What is black box testing?

Black box testing is a software testing method where the internal structure or code of a system is not known to the tester. It focuses on testing the functionality and features of the system from an end-user perspective.

Why is black box testing important?

Black box testing helps identify issues and bugs that may not be apparent from just looking at the code. It also ensures that the system meets the requirements and functions as expected from a user's point of view.

What are the steps involved in black box testing?

The steps involved in black box testing include understanding the system requirements, identifying test scenarios, creating test cases, executing the tests, and analyzing the results to identify any issues or defects.

What are some common techniques used in black box testing?

Some common techniques used in black box testing include equivalence partitioning, boundary value analysis, decision table testing, and error guessing. These techniques help in creating effective test cases and identifying potential issues in the system.

How is black box testing different from white box testing?

Black box testing focuses on testing the functionality of the system without knowing the internal structure or code, while white box testing involves testing the code and internal structure of the system. Black box testing is more suitable for end-to-end testing, while white box testing is useful for testing specific parts of the code.