Electromagnetic Plane Waves

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of linear and circular polarization of electromagnetic plane waves. The electric field is given by \vec{E}=Acos(kx-\omega t)\hat{x}+Bcos(kx-\omega t - \gamma)\hat{y} and can also be written as \vec{E}=Re((A\hat{x}+Be^{-i\gamma}\hat{y})e^{i(kx-\omega t)}). To achieve linear polarization, B can be set to 0 or gamma can equal n*pi if B is not equal to 0. For circular polarization, A and B must be equal and gamma must equal n*pi/2 for odd n. The choice of sign for
Rubiss

Homework Statement

I'm currently trying to understand linear and circular polarization of electromagnetic plane waves. Let's say I have an electric field given by

[tex] \vec{E}=Acos(kx-\omega t)\hat{x}+Bcos(kx-\omega t - \gamma)\hat{y} [/tex]

A is given and nonzero. I want to find what values of B and gamma that can make the wave linear or circularly polarized.

Homework Equations

I can also write the electric field as

[tex] \vec{E}=Re \big((A\hat{x}+Be^{-i\gamma}\hat{y})e^{i(kx-\omega t)}\big) [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

For the linear polarization, I'm thinking I can either make B=0, or gamma equal to n*pi if B is not equal to zero. Can anyone comment on my thinking?

For circular polarization, I'm thinking I need to have A=B and gamma equal to n*pi/2 for odd n. I will have right handed circular polarization if n=3,7,11,... and have left handed circular polarization if n=1,5,9,... Is this thinking correct?

Is there an easier way to do this that I am not seeing?

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you sure it's not cos(kz - wt) etc.? Because if not this is not a possible e-m wave.

Assuming propagation in the z direction, you can solve this by writing the E field at z = 0, writing the x and y components of E and eliminating t between them. The result is y(x,phi,A,B) which then makes it obvious the restrictions on B and phi you must impose to effect linear or circular polarization. You could even go further and do the same for elliptical polarization for extra credit ...

Rubiss said:

Homework Statement

I'm currently trying to understand linear and circular polarization of electromagnetic plane waves. Let's say I have an electric field given by

[tex] \vec{E}=Acos(kx-\omega t)\hat{x}+Bcos(kx-\omega t - \gamma)\hat{y} [/tex]

A is given and nonzero. I want to find what values of B and gamma that can make the wave linear or circularly polarized.

Homework Equations

I can also write the electric field as

[tex] \vec{E}=Re \big((A\hat{x}+Be^{-i\gamma}\hat{y})e^{i(kx-\omega t)}\big) [/tex]

OK. I never did respond to you directly. Here goes:

The Attempt at a Solution

For the linear polarization, I'm thinking I can either make B=0, or gamma equal to n*pi if B is not equal to zero. Can anyone comment on my thinking?

Right.
For circular polarization, I'm thinking I need to have A=B and gamma equal to n*pi/2 for odd n. I will have right handed circular polarization if n=3,7,11,... and have left handed circular polarization if n=1,5,9,... Is this thinking correct?

Almost right. B can be + or -A. The choice of sign determines right or left circular polarization. That makes it tantamount to choosing n for γ the way you did.
Is there an easier way to do this that I am not seeing?

Hard to say since you didn't tell us how you got your results in the first place ...

Your thinking is correct for both linear and circular polarization. For linear polarization, B=0 will result in a linearly polarized wave along the x-axis, while setting gamma equal to n*pi will rotate the polarization by n*pi/2, resulting in a linearly polarized wave along the y-axis.

For circular polarization, setting A=B and gamma=n*pi/2 will result in a circularly polarized wave with the same amplitude in both the x and y directions, but with a phase difference of n*pi/2 between them. This will result in right-handed circular polarization for odd values of n and left-handed circular polarization for even values of n.

There is no easier way to determine the values of B and gamma for linear and circular polarization, as it is dependent on the desired polarization and the given electric field. However, you can always use the general equation for an electric field in terms of linear and circular polarization to verify your results. Good job on your thinking and analysis!

1. What are electromagnetic plane waves?

Electromagnetic plane waves are a type of electromagnetic radiation that travel through space in a straight line with a constant frequency and wavelength. They are made up of oscillating electric and magnetic fields that are perpendicular to each other and to the direction of propagation.

2. How do electromagnetic plane waves differ from other types of electromagnetic radiation?

Electromagnetic plane waves differ from other types of electromagnetic radiation, such as light and radio waves, in that they have a constant frequency and wavelength and travel in a straight line without any dispersion or attenuation. They also have a higher energy level compared to other types of electromagnetic radiation.

3. What are the properties of electromagnetic plane waves?

Electromagnetic plane waves have several properties, including frequency, wavelength, amplitude, and polarization. The frequency determines the energy level of the wave, while the wavelength determines the distance between two consecutive waves. The amplitude determines the strength of the electric and magnetic fields, and the polarization refers to the orientation of the electric and magnetic fields.

4. How are electromagnetic plane waves generated?

Electromagnetic plane waves are generated by accelerating electric charges, such as in an antenna or by an oscillating electric circuit. When these charges accelerate, they create changes in the electric and magnetic fields, which propagate as electromagnetic plane waves.

5. What are the applications of electromagnetic plane waves?

Electromagnetic plane waves have a wide range of applications, including communication, radar, medical imaging, and industrial heating. They are also used in scientific research, such as studying the properties of materials and the behavior of particles in electromagnetic fields.