Calculating volume & moment of inertia

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of volume and moment of inertia for shapes described by the equation |xn| + |yn| + |zn| = Rn. The individual is trying to find a formula for the volume and is considering integrating over R, but is encountering issues with the limits and integrand. They also mention trying to find a formula for moment of inertia by adding the individual moments of inertia of each sheet of the shape. However, they are encountering difficulties with this approach as well.
power11110
Hi there,

I am trying to calculate both volume and moment of inertia of shapes which surface coordinates are depicted by following equation:

|xn| + |yn| + |zn| = Rn

When n is 1 it is simple octahedron, when it is 2, it is sphere and then choosing any n, it becomes something else.

I will try to depict how I am trying to find volume.

Firstly, I am considering a 1/8 of the shape (because it's really symmetrical). To find out an area of little sheet of the shape: Area = ∫ x dy = ∫ (R^n - |y^n|)^(1/n) dy;

Which is alright. Now, what I am thinking, in order to find out volume I could do following integral:

∫ Area dR = ∫ ∫ (R^n - |y^n|)^(1/n) dy dR where boundaries, both of them, are 0 to R.

When I try to solve this equation, it only works for the sphere. For any other n, it gives false answer. Please, comment on it.

Speaking about moment of inertia, I was thinking once I understand and find how to depict all those sheets of the shape, I could try to find each ones moment of inertia and then add them all somehow.

Any help is appreciated, thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
How can you integrate over R, if R is a constant parameter? This integral should run over y or z. In addition, the area is not the same for all y (or z), so your formula for the area needs a modified limit.

Speaking about moment of inertia, I was thinking once I understand and find how to depict all those sheets of the shape, I could try to find each ones moment of inertia and then add them all somehow.
Right.

Hmm, what do you think such for such expression then:

Volume = ∫∫( R^n - |y^n| - |z^n|)^(1/n) dy dz (from 0 to R, from 0 to R) ?

I know it does not work but I can't understand why it doesn't.

Last edited:
You'll have to adapt one integration limit a bit, otherwise you run into regions where the integrand is not well-defined. If you do that, it should work.

If I change first boundaries to: from 0 to (R-z) and change equation to:

∫∫|(R-z)^n - y^n|^(1/n) dy dz

It gives good results. Is that valid for every n?

If I change first boundaries to: from 0 to (R-z) and change equation to:
That is not the right boundary (apart from n=1). How did you get that formula?

Hmm, yep, I can see that it does not work every n. What I was trying to do in the first place is to make a program which simply sums up my area integrals * increment (e.g. 0.001). If you start with 1/4 of the area, than every increment the equation shrinks and changes R value by 1 increment's value and also boundaries change accordingly. So if increment is small enough it gives a good approximation of Volume but it only uses one integral.

Area = Int ((R-z)^n - y^n)^(1/n) dy;
dV = Area * increment;
Change Z from 0 to R;

So I was trying to adapt that somehow to make it double integral.

What is the formula for calculating the volume of an object?

The formula for calculating the volume of an object depends on the shape of the object. For a cube, the formula is V = s^3, where s is the length of one side. For a cylinder, the formula is V = πr^2h, where r is the radius of the base and h is the height. For a sphere, the formula is V = (4/3)πr^3, where r is the radius.

What is the moment of inertia for a point mass?

The moment of inertia for a point mass is given by I = mr^2, where m is the mass of the object and r is the distance from the axis of rotation.

How do you calculate the moment of inertia for a continuous object?

To calculate the moment of inertia for a continuous object, you need to use the integral formula: I = ∫r^2 dm, where r is the distance from the axis of rotation and dm is the differential mass element.

What is the difference between volume and moment of inertia?

Volume is a measure of the amount of space an object occupies, while moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in rotational motion. They are two different physical properties that are calculated using different formulas.

Why is calculating moment of inertia important in engineering and physics?

Calculating moment of inertia is important in engineering and physics because it helps us understand and predict an object's behavior when it is rotating. It is used in the design of machines, structures, and vehicles, and it is also important in analyzing the stability and balance of objects in motion.