Having problems with a thermo. cycle

In summary, the problem involves a thermo cycle with A->B being isobaric, B->C being adiabatic, C->D being isothermal, and D->A being isochoric. The given information includes Pa=2atm, Va=2 m^3, n=1mole, Vb=1/2Va, and Pa=2Pd. The issue arises from an incorrect assumption about the process A->B, where the temperature of B should be the same as A. This leads to incorrect calculations for the temperatures of B and C.
flythisforme
Having problems with a thermo. cycle!

OK, so in the problem A->B is isobaric, B->C is adiabatic, C->D is isothermal, D->A is isochoric.

Pa = 2atm, Va = 2 m^3, n = 1mole, Vb = 1/2Va, Pa = 2Pd (That is all the information that is given.)

I always end up with the temperatures of B and C both equaling 2.44x10^4 K. What am I doing wrong?

(After I did all the calculations for A->B, I went over to D since there was no info for C in the problem. After finding the temperature of D, I found the temperature of C since C->D is isothermal. I found the temperature at D by assuming that Va = Vd since it is an isochoric process, and also since Pa=2Pd due to what is given in the problem. So then I used PV=nRT at D to find the temp there.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Then I found the temp of C, since C->D is isothermal. After that, I found the temp of B by using the ideal gas law at B, but it's not working out quite right.) The problem you are having is likely because you are making an incorrect assumption about the process A->B. If this process is isobaric, then the temperature of B should be the same as the temperature of A. Therefore, you should use the temperature of A to calculate the volume of B, and then use the ideal gas law to calculate the temperature of C.

Then I went back to C and used the ideal gas law to find the temperature there.)

It seems like you have the right approach in solving this problem. However, there could be a mistake in your calculations or in the values given. It would be helpful if you could provide your calculations or show your work so that we can identify where the error might be. Also, it is important to check your units and make sure they are consistent throughout your calculations. Sometimes, small unit errors can lead to significant differences in the final answer. Additionally, double check the values given in the problem and make sure they are accurate. If you are still having trouble, perhaps try approaching the problem from a different angle or using a different formula to solve for the temperatures. Good luck!

1. What is a thermo cycle?

A thermo cycle is a series of thermodynamic processes that convert heat energy into work or vice versa. It involves the use of a working fluid and various components such as a heat source, heat exchanger, and a turbine or piston.

2. What are some common problems encountered in a thermo cycle?

Some common problems in a thermo cycle include leaks in the system, inefficiencies in heat transfer, mechanical failures in components, and issues with the working fluid such as freezing or boiling.

3. How do you troubleshoot problems in a thermo cycle?

To troubleshoot problems in a thermo cycle, you should start by checking for any leaks in the system and repairing them. You can also test the efficiency of heat transfer using temperature and pressure sensors. Mechanical failures can be addressed by inspecting and replacing damaged components. For issues with the working fluid, you may need to change the type of fluid or add additives to improve its performance.

4. Can temperature variations affect the performance of a thermo cycle?

Yes, temperature variations can significantly impact the performance of a thermo cycle. High temperatures can cause the working fluid to boil and create excessive pressure, while low temperatures can cause freezing and decrease the efficiency of heat transfer.

5. How can I ensure the safety of operating a thermo cycle?

To ensure the safety of operating a thermo cycle, it is important to follow all safety guidelines and regulations, regularly inspect and maintain the system, and use appropriate personal protective equipment. It is also crucial to properly train and supervise anyone operating the thermo cycle.