Avatar liberation and 24/7 chat You are not dreaming

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
In summary, Physics Forums has announced that avatars are now free for everyone and a 24/7 chat is now available to PF Patrons, Homework Helpers, and Science Advisors. The chat can be accessed through the homepage or the quick links drop down menu. Sunday and holiday chat will still be available for all users. The avatars are small and stored on a CDN, so they should not significantly slow down the site. Users have expressed concerns about the speed of the site due to social media icons and have suggested using adblockers or other extensions to block them. The font size has also been adjusted for better readability.
Avatar liberation and 24/7 chat! You are not dreaming :)

Physics Forums is happy to announce that avatars are now free for everyone!

Select or upload yours today!
https://www.physicsforums.com/profile.php?do=editavatar 24/7 PF chat is here! Available to PF Patrons (Gold members), Homework Helpers and Science Advisors. You'll find the link on the homepage right side bar. I'll also be putting it in your quick links drop down menu later today.

Join the fun and support PF today!
https://www.physicsforums.com/payments.php Sunday and holiday chat will still be available for all.

Last edited:
Likes 1 person
Physics news on Phys.org
Greg Bernhardt said:
Sunday and holiday chat will still be available for all.
*sighs in relief and dumps the idea of going on a hunger strike*
:biggrin:

Thanks for the avatar, Greg...Will upgrade to gold--- as soon as I decide to open a paypal account...:rolleyes:

Likes 1 person
Thank you for Avatar

Enigman said:
*sighs in relief and dumps the idea of going on a hunger strike*
:biggrin:

Thanks for the avatar, Greg...Will upgrade to gold--- as soon as I decide to open a paypal account...:rolleyes:

haha no problem, enjoy!

Greg Bernhardt said:

Select or upload yours today!
https://www.physicsforums.com/profile.php?do=editavatar

24/7 PF chat is here! Available to PF Patrons (Gold members), Homework Helpers and Science Advisors. You'll find the link on the homepage right side bar. I'll also be putting it in your quick links drop down menu later today.

Join the fun and support PF today!
https://www.physicsforums.com/payments.php

Sunday and holiday chat will still be available for all.

That's pretty nice. Wonder if all the avatars are going to make the site noticeably slower?

Anyway, what made you change your mind about the chat? It has been asked quite a few times already, and the answer was always negative. Is it in testing phase, or is it coming to stay?

Last edited by a moderator:
Crake said:
That's pretty nice. Wonder if all the avatars are going to make the site noticeably slower?

The images are quite small and all stored on CDN so there shouldn't be any noticeable slower speed. Let me know if you do feel some though.

Crake said:
Anyway, what made you change your mind about the chat? It has been asked quite a few times already, and the answer was always negative. Is it in testing phase, or is it coming to stay?

We have restricted it to PF Patrons (Gold members) only. It's a nice perk.

Very nice !

Come on into chat and let's give it a spin.

Greg Bernhardt said:

Greg Bernhardt said:
The images are quite small and all stored on CDN so there shouldn't be any noticeable slower speed.

I like it, being the visual kind of member I am.

But I would give up my avatar if it ever became an overhead problem.

Greg Bernhardt said:
The images are quite small and all stored on CDN so there shouldn't be any noticeable slower speed. Let me know if you do feel some though.

Considering that between 90% and 99% of the time to load a page for me is taken up by finding out and displaying how many people have liked/shared it on facebook, google, and linkedin, you could increase the avatars to 800x600 pixels without slowing anything down much more.

It's impossible to scroll the page or click on links reliably while my browser(s) are fooling around reformatting the page deciding where to position those "like counts".

But hey, knowing how many people "liked" a page is obviously the most important information on the page, so I guess it's worth the wait.

If you are trying to make more money, how about starting a premium rate chat for people to discuss their own "private theories", without giving them access to any other parts of the forum... :devil:

AlephZero said:
Considering that between 90% and 99% of the time to load a page for me is taken up by finding out and displaying how many people have liked/shared it on facebook, google, and linkedin, you could increase the avatars to 800x600 pixels without slowing anything down much more.

It's impossible to scroll the page or click on links reliably while my browser(s) are fooling around reformatting the page deciding where to position those "like counts".

But hey, knowing how many people "liked" a page is obviously the most important information on the page, so I guess it's worth the wait.

I will look into the issue. Next grievance please start a new thread and let me know earlier before you burst.

AlephZero said:

If you are trying to make more money, how about starting a premium rate chat for people to discuss their own "private theories", without giving them access to any other parts of the forum... :devil:

What browser do you use? Either way there are some really good extensions that block facebook and twitter, G+ and all the other websites that track you. That way, you'll not see the +1 icons.

To name a few:

- Ghostery (the one I use)
- Disconnect
- You also have a filter list on adblock plus, but it takes way too much ram on my PC, no idea why.

Btw Greg, you changed the font size right? It's much better now.

Crake said:
Btw Greg, you changed the font size right? It's much better now.

Since when? I don't think I've changed it since the new layout last March :)

Greg Bernhardt said:
Since when? I don't think I've changed it since the new layout last March :)

Like 3 days ago or something? I remember that I had to ctrl+ and even installed a contrast add-on to better read PF. Weird.

EDIT:

Now that I think about it, I did change fonts on my chrome browser. I then used Ccleaner, so ya, it probably undid what I changed. Oh well, it looks perfect now.

What is "Avatar liberation" and how does it relate to 24/7 chat?

"Avatar liberation" refers to the concept of freeing oneself from societal or cultural norms and expectations, often through the use of technology or virtual spaces. In the context of 24/7 chat, it may refer to the ability to express oneself freely and without limitations, as avatars and usernames can provide a sense of anonymity and detachment from one's physical identity.

How does 24/7 chat differ from traditional forms of communication?

24/7 chat allows for constant and immediate communication with others, regardless of time or location. Traditional forms of communication, such as face-to-face interactions or phone calls, have limitations in terms of availability and convenience.

What are the potential benefits and drawbacks of "Avatar liberation" and 24/7 chat?

The potential benefits of "Avatar liberation" and 24/7 chat include increased freedom of expression and connection with others. However, it can also lead to a detachment from reality and potential negative effects on mental health and social interactions in the physical world.

How has technology played a role in the development of "Avatar liberation" and 24/7 chat?

Technology, specifically the internet and virtual reality, has greatly enabled the concept of "Avatar liberation" and 24/7 chat. It has provided a platform for individuals to create and manipulate their online identities, and has made constant communication possible through various devices and platforms.

What ethical considerations should be taken into account when studying "Avatar liberation" and 24/7 chat?

Some ethical considerations to keep in mind when studying "Avatar liberation" and 24/7 chat include privacy concerns, potential harm to individuals or society, and the impact of technology on our understanding of reality and identity. It is important to approach these topics with sensitivity and to prioritize the well-being of participants in any research or study.