The Role of Friend Requests in Online Forums

• Thread starter Stephen Tashi
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the purpose and functionality of friend requests on a forum. The speaker is unsure of the significance of declaring someone a friend and mentions that it may have had a function in the past, but now it simply adds them to a list.
Stephen Tashi
Science Advisor
What are friends for? - I mean the kind that friend requests establish on the forum. I think this is the only forum I belong to that has the feature of friend requests. I don't understand if declaring someone a friend has any important functional significance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Stephen Tashi said:
What are friends for? - I mean the kind that friend requests establish on the forum. I think this is the only forum I belong to that has the feature of friend requests. I don't understand if declaring someone a friend has any important functional significance.
No, I think once it might have had the option to limit some things to "freinds", but now I think all it does is put them on your list and they will have a + next to their name when you see them in the member's online list.

1. What is the definition of a friend?

A friend can be defined as a person with whom one has a bond of mutual affection, support, and trust.

2. Why are friends important?

Friends are important because they provide emotional support, companionship, and a sense of belonging. They can also help improve mental health and overall well-being.

3. How do friendships develop?

Friendships develop through shared experiences, communication, and a sense of understanding and acceptance between individuals.

4. What qualities make a good friend?

Some qualities that make a good friend include loyalty, honesty, empathy, and a willingness to listen and support. Good communication and the ability to have fun together are also important.

5. How can one maintain friendships?

To maintain friendships, one must make an effort to stay in touch, be supportive, and show appreciation for the friendship. Communication and spending quality time together are also key to maintaining strong friendships.