Researching Tokamaks: Cost, Hazards, Alternatives

• Thread starter misogynisticfeminist
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Research
In summary: Pages S5-S8Tokamaks do not currently produce net power, and the best results achieved by the Princeton Plasma Physics Laboratory were only temporary. The enormous size and cost of a tokamak fusion power plant make it impractical for widespread use.
misogynisticfeminist
I am doing possible research on tokamaks but part of it is the study of how feasible is having a tokamak in my community. I am currently looking for information on the cost of an average tokamak (perhaps to power 50 units of flats?) and its electricity output for this cost. Also, what are the hazards of a tokamak? Are there any possible alternative techniques for fusion?

thanks alot.

Engineering news on Phys.org
BTW, what are "Tokamaks"?

Misogynisticfeminist.

Fusion is not currently viable for energy production.

I actually laughed when I read that first post. Fusion, even if it were avaliable to the public would not be a practical energy supplier. The ratio of the energy gained to the energy put into achieving ignition is very small.

misogynisticfeminist said:
I am doing possible research on tokamaks but part of it is the study of how feasible is having a tokamak in my community. I am currently looking for information on the cost of an average tokamak (perhaps to power 50 units of flats?) and its electricity output for this cost. Also, what are the hazards of a tokamak? Are there any possible alternative techniques for fusion?

misogynisticfeminist,

Two comments - first, at present Tokamaks don't produce net power.

The best the Princeton Plasma Physics Laboratory was able to get was to
have the machine operate for a second or two before the plasma went
unstable. They put more energy into creating the plasma, than they got
out in fusion power.

Secondly, fusion reactors are going to be BIG. As one of my professors
stated; the Tokamak is going to need a thick skin - many feet thick -
in order to capture the fusion neutrons which contain most of the energy
released. "Any 'animal' with a skin a few feet thick is going to be a
BIG animal".

In order to provide the large magnetic fields required for fusion - one
may have to use superconducting magnets in order to drive down the
cost of running the magnets. This professor referred to a tokamak
fusion power plant as a "Superconducting Cathedral".

So you aren't going to have a fusion power plant for 50 homes.

Dr. Gregory Greenman
Physicist

Commercial electrical power generation from fusion is still hypothetical. The cost of the complex technology most likely would require a 'large' plant, perhaps something on the order of 1000 MW or so.

The economics will also depend on the fuel cycle - e.g. D-D vs D-T or other, and whether or not T-breeding with n,Li reactions is part of the system.

Try this for a start - The Impact of Physics Assumptions on Fusion Economics
http://www.iaea.org/programmes/ripc/physics/fec2000/html/node348.htm [Broken]

and try to find

Hender et al., "Key Issue for the Economic Viability of Magnetic Fusion Power," Fusion Technology, Vol. 30, December 1996

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the estimated cost of researching tokamaks?

The cost of researching tokamaks can vary greatly depending on the specific project and its scope. However, it is generally estimated to be in the billions of dollars. For example, the ITER project, which aims to build the world's largest tokamak, has a budget of over $20 billion. Additionally, the cost of maintaining and operating a tokamak can also be significant.

2. What are the potential hazards associated with researching tokamaks?

One of the main potential hazards of researching tokamaks is the risk of radiation exposure. Tokamaks use powerful magnetic fields and high temperatures to confine and heat plasma, which can produce radiation. Therefore, strict safety measures must be in place to protect researchers and the surrounding environment. Additionally, there is a risk of accidents and equipment malfunctions that could result in damage to the tokamak and surrounding facilities.

3. Are there any alternative methods for achieving fusion energy besides tokamaks?

Yes, there are several other methods being researched for achieving fusion energy. Some alternatives to tokamaks include stellarators, which use a different type of magnetic confinement, and laser fusion, which uses high-powered lasers to heat and compress the fuel. Each method has its own advantages and challenges, and it is important to continue researching and developing multiple approaches to fusion energy.

4. How long does it take to conduct research on tokamaks?

The timeline for research on tokamaks can vary greatly depending on the specific goals and resources of the project. Some research projects may only last a few years, while others, such as the ITER project, can take decades to complete. Additionally, ongoing research and development is necessary for improving and optimizing tokamak technology, so research on tokamaks is a continuous process.

5. What are the potential benefits of successful tokamak research?

If successful, tokamak research has the potential to provide a clean and virtually limitless source of energy. Fusion reactions produce very little radioactive waste and do not emit greenhouse gases, making it a much more sustainable energy source compared to fossil fuels. Additionally, fusion energy could potentially provide a reliable and stable source of energy for future generations.