Accidentally Deleted My Reply - Lost in 5 Minutes

• Thread starter SlimSalabim
  • Start date
In summary, a user accidentally hit the delete button instead of the edit button while writing a reply and it was deleted without confirmation or warning. Other users suggest using a text editor or installing a browser add-on to avoid losing long posts. However, it is not confirmed if the original post was actually lost.
SlimSalabim
I spent 5 minutes writing a reply and posted it and accidentally hit the delete button instead of the edit. It took me to a new page and I think asked for confirmation. Without thinking I hit the back button instead of answering the confirmation and it was already deleted. I don't think it's supposed to work like that.

Physics news on Phys.org
No idea what you are talking about - how do you "hit the delete button instead of the edit"? There is no delete button that you could hit INSTEAD of edit button. Do you mean you posted, tried to edit your post, and clicked delete then?

There is a chance that you got back to the thread where your post is just not displayed, please refresh the window. To save on bandwidth when you post page is modified locally using javascript - your browser caches old version, so when you get back to the cached version it doesn't show your post, even if it is the database.

When typing long posts, it's advisable do a "select all" and "save" from time to time, just in case of things like this. OR ... you can type in something like notepad and then paste into the thread.

If you use firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/de/firefox/addon/lazarus-form-recovery/

phinds said:
When typing long posts, it's advisable do a "select all" and "save" from time to time, just in case of things like this. OR ... you can type in something like notepad and then paste into the thread.
Agreed! It's best to write long detailed responses/posts in a text editor, e.g., Notepad, Wordpad, or my preference, TextPad, saving it periodically, then copy and paste the text into site editor.

An alternative is to write at top of a post you expect to be long:

"Post in progress"
, and then save it, and go back to re-editing it.

SlimSalabim said:
I spent 5 minutes writing a reply and posted it and accidentally hit the delete button instead of the edit. It took me to a new page and I think asked for confirmation. Without thinking I hit the back button instead of answering the confirmation and it was already deleted. I don't think it's supposed to work like that.

I'm sorry this has happened. It's very frustrating! What browser are you using. I think most newer version of browsers will often retain the form information.

The works of sheer genius I've lost to the dreaded "ooops". Sometimes you can go back, or refresh, but if you accidentally close the browser, it's usually a lost cause (in chrome). Is there some setting I don't know about that sends you a "are you sure you want to close with an unsaved page?"

Last edited:
Evo said:
The works of shear genius I've lost to the dreaded "ooops".
I am quite sure the O.P.s were quite thankful that you couldn't shear their threads...
:biggrin:

SlimSalabim said:
I spent 5 minutes writing a reply ...

5 minutes is not a long reply to lose.
5 hours is a long reply to lose.

I think of it as a rite of passage!

Enigman said:
I am quite sure the O.P.s were quite thankful that you couldn't shear their threads...
:biggrin:
LOL, corrected.

So, we have 12 posts in the thread, but we are not even yet sure if OP really lost the post...

What are some possible ways to recover a accidentally deleted reply?

Some possible ways to recover an accidentally deleted reply include checking for a backup of the reply, using data recovery software, contacting the recipient to see if they have a copy, and checking email or text message archives.

Is there a time limit for recovering an accidentally deleted reply?

It depends on the specific technology or platform. Some systems may have a designated time period for retrieving deleted items, while others may permanently delete them after a certain amount of time has passed. It is best to act quickly to increase the chances of successful recovery.

What can cause a reply to be accidentally deleted?

A reply can be accidentally deleted due to human error, technical glitches, or software bugs. It can also happen if the reply was not saved properly or if the device or platform was not functioning properly.

Are there any precautions I can take to prevent accidentally deleting a reply?

Yes, some precautions include regularly backing up important data, double-checking before deleting any items, and being cautious when using unfamiliar devices or platforms. It is also helpful to enable features like "undo" or "recycle bin" if available.

Can data recovery software always retrieve an accidentally deleted reply?

No, data recovery software is not always able to retrieve an accidentally deleted reply. It depends on various factors such as the device or platform used, the time elapsed since the deletion, and the effectiveness of the software itself. It is worth trying, but there is no guarantee of success.