Math challenges not interesting?

• Thread starter jackmell
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discussed the possibility of restarting the math challenge sub-forum now that micromass has left. The idea was to create a sub-forum where challenging math problems could be posted, and unanswered threads could be moved there to increase their chances of being solved. Several challenging problems were mentioned, including deriving a symbolic expression for the Laplace transform of tan(t) and analyzing an integral using the Residue Theorem. It was suggested that Office_Shredder take over managing the challenge forum, and it was announced that the math challenges would be restarting soon.
jackmell
Hi,

Notice since micromass left, the math challenge sub-forum was removed. Would it be productive to start it again? I just ran into another problem today I felt was a challenge: derive a symbolic (and convergent) expression for [itex]\mathcal{L}\left\{\tan(t)\right\}[/itex]. Also the (3D) amplituhedron volume was a good one that I believe would have been a nice challenge for calculus students.

If we have a sub-forum of "challenges" and it begins accumulating lots of unanswered threads, its "appeal" increases since math people are "challenged" by problems others seem unable to solve. Also, we could move (well-posed) unanswered math threads from other math forums into the challenge forum and these posts would become more attractive (as described above) and thus fare a better chance of being answered.

Here's another one I worked on of late. Quite challenging I thought:

What can you say about:
[tex]\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\frac{\log^{2}(1+ix^{2})-\log^{2}(1-ix^{2})}{1+x^{2}}dx[/tex]

or even much, much worst: analyze the integral via the Residue Theorem.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
We'd love a properly maintained math challenge forum. We just need someone to step up and manage it.

Greg Bernhardt said:
We'd love a properly maintained math challenge forum. We just need someone to step up and manage it.

May I make a suggestion then? "Well, since you're a new mentor, how about you run that challenge forum for a lil' while?"

jackmell said:
May I make a suggestion then? "Well, since you're a new mentor, how about you run that challenge forum for a lil' while?"

Something is in the works. Stay tuned!

Good news! Office_Shredder is taking over and we'll be restarting the Math Challenges!

Greg Bernhardt said:
Good news! Office_Shredder is taking over and we'll be restarting the Math Challenges!

Ok. Nice. Hopefully others will take interest in it.

1. Why should I care about math challenges if they're not interesting?

While it's understandable to not find math challenges interesting, they are still important for developing critical thinking and problem-solving skills. Additionally, many careers and everyday tasks require a basic understanding of math, so it's important to continue practicing and challenging yourself.

2. How can I make math challenges more interesting?

There are many ways to make math challenges more interesting, such as finding real-world applications, incorporating technology, or collaborating with others. It can also be helpful to find a topic or concept that you are passionate about and use that as a starting point for exploring math challenges.

3. What if I'm not good at math challenges?

Everyone has strengths and weaknesses, and it's okay if math challenges are not your strong suit. However, with practice and perseverance, anyone can improve their math skills. It's important to not get discouraged and to seek help when needed.

4. Are there any benefits to solving math challenges?

Yes, there are many benefits to solving math challenges. It can improve critical thinking skills, promote creativity, and build confidence. It can also lead to a better understanding and appreciation of math, making it easier to tackle more complex challenges in the future.

5. How can I motivate myself to do math challenges that I find uninteresting?

One way to motivate yourself is to set specific goals and track your progress. Breaking down the challenge into smaller, manageable tasks can also make it feel less daunting. Additionally, finding a study partner or joining a math challenge group can provide accountability and make the experience more enjoyable.