Ending Strange Arguments: Simple Tips for Maintaining Peace

• Thread starter Lord Ping
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Moments
In summary: WarrenIn summary, the blue object moves down slightly, but that doesn't matter because the moment of equilibrium is the same regardless.
Lord Ping
I can't put it more simply than this:

35672591.jpg

Please end this strange argument before I go mad over it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, this doesn't make much sense to me. What's the red thing? What's the blue thing? What's the pivot? It looks to me like a blue brick sitting on a table. I don't get it.

- Warren

Hi everyone,

If the first is equilibrium then the second is not.

In the first picture the centre of the gravity of the blue object is on the right of the pivot, let’s say that the distance between the pivot and the centre of the gravity of the blue object is D.

Similar the distance between the pivot and the centre of the gravity of the red object is d then if we want to have equilibrium the moments of the two object must be equal so we have: md=MD (1) (M: the mass of the blue object and m: the mass of the red object).

With similar thoughts in the second picture (we have supposed that there is equilibrium in the 2nd picture) you end up to the equation md’=MD (2) (d’: is the new distance between the pivot and the centre of the gravity of the red object).

If we had equilibrium in the 2nd picture then from (1) and (2) we have: d=d’ which is atop. So in the 2nd picture we do not have equilibrium.

Originally posted by chroot
Well, this doesn't make much sense to me. What's the red thing? What's the blue thing? What's the pivot? It looks to me like a blue brick sitting on a table. I don't get it.

- Warren

It's an object with an extension stuck on to it. Like, for instance, a hatchback with the trunk (or boot) open/shut. It's on a balance.

The centre of mass of the single blue+red object doesn't move, but the object does change shape - the red section moves. The question is will this change the moment?

Seemingly yes.

Originally posted by Lord Ping
The centre of mass of the single blue+red object doesn't move
Bull**** -- of course it does.

- Warren

It moves down slightly, but that doesn't matter... does it move horizontally too?

Of course.

- Warren

Pehaps the ending of this little video is what this is all about.

I love that video!

i don't think that is compleatly correct

1. What is a "Very simple moments question"?

A "Very simple moments question" is a type of scientific inquiry that involves observing and analyzing everyday moments or occurrences. It can be any question that arises from our daily experiences and can be explored using scientific methods.

2. How do you come up with a "Very simple moments question"?

One way to come up with a "Very simple moments question" is to pay attention to your surroundings and notice things that pique your curiosity. You can also think about common or repetitive experiences and try to understand the underlying reasons behind them.

3. Can "Very simple moments questions" lead to important scientific discoveries?

Absolutely! Some of the most groundbreaking scientific discoveries have come from asking seemingly simple questions. By delving deeper into these moments and using scientific methods, we can uncover new knowledge and insights that can have a significant impact on our understanding of the world.

4. What are the benefits of exploring "Very simple moments questions"?

Exploring "Very simple moments questions" can help us develop our critical thinking skills and nurture our curiosity. It can also lead to a better understanding of the world around us and potentially contribute to the advancement of science and technology.

5. Are there any limitations to studying "Very simple moments questions"?

Like any scientific inquiry, there may be limitations to studying "Very simple moments questions." These can include the availability of resources, time constraints, and the complexity of the question. However, these limitations can also spark creativity and lead to new ways of thinking and problem-solving.