Physics vs. Electrical Engineering

In summary, after considering the time and dedication required for a physics degree and the potential for a more comfortable lifestyle with an electrical engineering degree, the individual is having trouble deciding between their passion for physics and their desire for a balanced and enjoyable life. They are also unsure of what an electrical engineer actually does for a living and the amount of time and commitment required for a higher degree in the field. They also mention their interest in amateur fighting and question if there would be enough free time in graduate school to continue training. Ultimately, the decision lies between pursuing a challenging but rewarding career in physics or opting for a more practical and stable path in electrical engineering.
Poop-Loops
Physics vs. Electrical Engineering... :(

****This is a long post****

I hate having to make this decision, but I think I have to. When I first wanted to get into physics (I love physics, it comes so naturally to me, and it's very interesting), I didn't know what I'd be getting myself into. 4 years for a bachelors, and then grad school is so far away it doesn't matter, but I figured it'd be another 4 years. When I found out it was ~7 years, it was like a kick to the groin. 7 of them. And now I think I'll have to spend 5 years on my bachelors instead of 4 because I'm transferring from a CC to a Uni, and there aren't like any physics classes at the CC.

So anyway, I don't feel like spending 12 years in school, with very little free** time (I want to become an amateur fighter sometime in the future... =/). I mean, I'd finally be able to start my life at the age of 30?

Sooooo that's where Electrical Engineering comes in. Last quarter we did electricity and magentism in my physics class, and even though it hurt my brain to understand all of it, I fell in love with those subjects. I put together a coil gun for the presentation in the class and I loved it. I think I have OCD, because I noticed I would start tinkering with the coil gun, and when I decided to take a break, four hours would have gone by and I didn't even notice. So that works out perfectly. :) But, is that what a real electrical engineer would do? I'm familiar with the very basics of what I'd need to know, but what exactly would I do for a living? How long would getting a higher degree (Masters?, or do you skip to PH.D like in physics?) take?

Basically, I'm having trouble deciding between doing something I love but using up the best years of my life to do it, or go for 2nd place so I can have some fun...

** If Grad school isn't as bad as people make it out to be, and you DO get some free time, then I think I'll go for physics.

Thanks to anybody who actually read through all of this post. :)

PL

Physics news on Phys.org
Ok, maybe people have trouble understanding all my garble, so I'll make a bulleted list to make things easier:

• I love physics
  • Total school time will probably be ~12 years, and I don't like that.
  • Is there any free time in Grad school?
  • I also like electrical engineering
  • Have no idea what an electrical engineer would actually do for a living
  • How much does grad school help for an electrical engineer?

There. :)

PL

if you think physics hurts your brain, what do you think amateur fighting will do? go watch "raging bull" with jake lamotta. or recall mohammed ali lighting the olympic torch, compared to his younger self. he was the most alert, articulate, hard to hit fighter on the planet. you are going to get hit a lot more than he did. fun??

Fighting is fun as hell. And for now I only do grappling (judo, wrestling, etc), so no head banging (at least not on purpose :p)

In both cases, it makes my head hurt, but when I finally understand what's going on it's just the best feeling in the world (well... 2nd best ;)), and when I win, it's amazing. Not that that happens much. :(

I just need to know how much free time I'd get in grad school. Would there be enough time to train a few times a week (like 6 hours a week)?

And, what the hell does an electrical engineer do?

PL

I'm assuming your taking calc based physics II, the same class I'm taking this semester and not E&M, a separate class that will rot your brain and steal your soul according to most people I've talked to.

If this is the case, nothing you did this semester has anything at all to do with what you will do as an electrical engineer. Most of the EE's I know are paper pushers. I know one who is actually a designer, but it's all CAD, he doesn't work directly with anything he designs. He freely admits he wouldn't be able to fix half the stuff that I can, I know how to build, trouble shoot, and fix stuff because I've made it my business to learn how to do it.

I would say, if you want to be a physics major, you need to be beyond dedicated. You need the same kind of dedication that it takes to get into and survive medical school. It doesn't sound like you have that right now.

The great thing about almost any engineering degree, it opens a LOT of doors for you.

Here's the thing, I used to compete in martial arts, without trying to brag, I was good, but I was nowhere near great. I'm also good at pool at billiards, again, good, but not great. As time went by, it became clear to me that I needed to direct my energies towards one goal. I could chase the pipe dream of a pro athlete, maybe you make it, odds are, you won't. Or, I could choose more of a sure thing, electrical engineer. EE almost guarantees a comfortable life style for me.

You need to make a decision, if you really want to fight, you need to focus your efforts in that direction, you don't stand a chance if your not dedicated to it. If your only looking at it as a hobby, then you need to ignore it for now and concentrate on physics or engineering.

When I decided to go back to school, I stopped playing pool 5 nights a week, I stopped training in MA 3 nights a week. Yes I know that's 8 days in a week, but you can do 2 things on Sunday if you plan it right :rofl:. I now only play on 1 pool league and train 1 night per week.

Wow, you're 0/3 buddy.

I'm not taking calc-based physics. We don't do any calculus yet. We did E&M last quarter, but without calculus. It was titled: Physics 202: Electricity and Magnetism.

I'm not trying to be a pro athlete. I just want enough time so I can train regularly, and maybe compete every now and then. I love training & fighting, and I do it to unwind. No way would I be able to hang at the pro level. And most pro fighters make like $300 a fight or something, so they need a job anyway.

I don't even know where dedication fits the equation. I have no idea what I want to do right now, so how can I be dedicated to it?

My entire problem is that I'd have to ignore training (the only real hobby that I have) in order to get my degree. For 7+ years? I don't think my brain would handle that. I love physics, but if it means not having any fun for 7+ years and destroying any social skills I have, then screw it.

Are you in grad school or undergrad? Because I can still make it 3 nights a week to MA (Yes, I have a part time job too), and I have a 3.74GPA (for now :p)

PL

Poop-Loops said:
Wow, you're 0/3 buddy.

I'm not taking calc-based physics. We don't do any calculus yet. We did E&M last quarter, but without calculus. It was titled: Physics 202: Electricity and Magnetism.

Are you taking a second semester introductory physics course that focuses on Electricity & Magnetism? Or are you taking an upper-level phyics E&M course? They are not the same class. If you've done no calculus yet in a real E&M course, you're just not paying attention. In an E&M class (the upper level physics class), there will be A LOT of calculus.

Give up the ameteur fighter thing...let me be honest with you here. Pretty much every successful fighter was decided on doing that by the time they got to thinking about what to do in college. Most started knowing around age 9 or 10. Yes, there are exceptions, but don't bank on being an exception.

At this point, since you are undecided as to what to do, my advice would be to not close any doors. If you do an undergraduate in physics, you can still get an Masters in EE. Plus, if you find that physics is your cup of tea, you can go on to get that PhD in physics. On the other hand, if you do your undergraduate in EE, you will in all likelihood have closed the door on a future degree in physics.

One additional note: if you do decide to major in physics, you will most likeley have to take some technical electives. I don't know how your University works, but my physics department let me take technical electives from the EE department. If that is the case for you, I would try to take some EE courses to see if you like that sort of thing.

To sum up:
1) Don't close any doors before you have to
2) Take the time you have to explore your interests

I don't see any problem with the training, myself. It sounds like it's a purely recreational hobby.

Poop-Loops, as I mentioned in another thread, the amount of free time you have in grad school is dependent completely on your advisor, as well as other factors. After your first year or two of classes, I think it's reasonable to spend 40-60 hours a week on your research. If you spend much less than that, then your advisor will probably be pretty unhappy, and you will also graduate much more slowly. However, there are advisors out there who are taskmasters and want more than 40-60 hours a week. It's just like having a boss in real life - some are easy-going, and some are not.

So after you take away those 40-60 hours, then how you spend the rest of your time is completely dependent on you. Maybe you'll have to teach - that could add another 10-20 hours a week of work. Maybe you'll have a girlfriend, or wife and kids. That will take up your time. How much sleep do you need? How much partying will you do? How efficiently do you work? Etc. Etc. Every person's situation will be unique. There's no simple answer as to whether you'll have time in grad school to pursue your particular interests and hobbies.

Also - if you really ambitious about an academic career, then you should be spending more than 40-60 hours a week on your research, simply reading and learning on your own in your spare time. Keep in mind that in academics, just as in almost any other career, the more singleminded focus you have on your work, the farther you'll get and the better you'll do. The system does not reward work-life balance. No one's going to promote you because of your hobbies (unless it's golf).

Last edited:
IF you do Electricial Engineering you will have a easier and more profitable career than with the poverty associaited with physics. IF you don't like being poor and don't love physics enough to living in dispear, poverty and at time doubting why you are hear and are you wasting you life than physics is not for you and please goto Engineering. I sometimes wish I went into EE I made the decision to go into Physics and always thinking I stayed in engineering.

Wow, thanks for the replies.

I'd say it's an introductory course into E&M. Only calculus involved was in finding electric flux through gauss's law, and surprise! It was always the integral of dA. :rolleyes: So I don't count that as calculus. Also same thing for Ampere's law. And I don't pay attention either way. :p

I don't want to be some olympic fighter or anything. Just train hard, and every now and then compete. I don't even have to compete. As long as I get some training & sparring in, I'll be fine. ;)

You see, I didn't know you could get a BS in physics and then switch to engineering. This makes it a lot easier for me. :)

Finally someone who understands. I don't plan on making myself famous or making any money from this. I just like doing it. 40-60 hours bare minimum is a LOT of time... but... since it's something I like doing, it barely counts as "work", right right?? :) :(

I don't plan to make a lot of money in physics. Is it really that hard to find a job, though?

PL

I had to make the decision this semester and I decided to go EE. Main reason is EE can take a lot of physics classes too! At my univ, EE includes plasma and nuclear fusion, photonics, and electromagnetic fields/waves. Also EE can find jobs easier and probably higher pay too. I think for grad school, you can get into physics if you change your mind. So I would recommend EE if you want both hands-on (engineering) and theoretical work.

Yeah, I'm real big on hands on (please, no jokes :p) stuff. I LOVE to tinker and play around (really, no jokes) with gadgets and stuff. I spent a good 20 or so hours total trying to get my coil gun to work, and I loved every minute of it. Except when I forgot to discharge the capacitors and got shocked. :(

PL

^hmmm, then i think EE would be a viable choice as well.

Personally, i play guitar and would hope to expand in that field as well. But i only intend to do that, perhaps after i get my Phd.

What's the average length of time to get a masters in EE (after you already have a bachelors in physics)? The way my CC is set up, getting an AS in physics is real easy. So, I'll get an AS in EE and pick up a physics AS along the way. I might have to take a class or two over the summer, but no biggy.

PL

How much more would it take to get a double major?

Where do you train, poop-loops? I work 24 hours a week, am an EE student, plus I train about 3 nights a week(BJJ and MMA). It is doable.

Don't ditch your training. If you plan to compete, though, it will be tough.

I train BJJ at http://lotusclubjiujitsu.com/ [Broken] under Washington, Auburn. I work from 15-25 hours a week usually. Depending on homework and work work I can train twice, maybe three times a week. I really don't want to quit training. Ever since I got intermediate in TKD, all I've been thinking about is martial arts.

Well, if you can do it, I can do it. ;)

PL

Last edited by a moderator:
Your social life is going to take a hit, though.

Something to think about.

Might be a good idea to read some of the previous posts carefully before commenting. As he said - it's recreational.

(This was in response to someone else's deleted post which I didn't quote).

Last edited:
Yeah... I don't have much of a social life as it is. :p

PL

Poop loops,

I am the guy who discouraged going pro in fighting (and to whom juvenal was responding). As to amateur sports and training, I still think anything that could injure you is foolish. But as to keeping in shape, and unwinding, I recommend it as an aid to getting through grad school. I ran 4 miles a day every day, 365 days a year when trying to finish grad school. It helped a lot.

It kept me fit for the days of teaching and the long hard nights of study, and also helped unwind. I suggest continuing to avoid the blows to the head. Even wrestling and karate can involve neck or back injury though. But the training is helpful.

To be completely honest however, after 40 years of running on asphalt and concrete I have arthritis in my knees, back and ankles. (I used a wheelchair for some months last year from no other reason, so maybe I am overly sensitive to this. This world is not all that friendly to people who cannot walk. For instance on my floor at work, they ripped out the two standard toilet stalls to put in one stall that a wheelchair user could acess, but they did not put an electronic opener on the door, so a wheelchair user cannot even enter the bathroom at all without help. So now everyone is more inconvenienced and no one is benefited much.)

Of course when I was young I thought nothing of running barefoot over concrete for miles and miles, and parachute jumped,.. etc..., so it helps to use common sense. It is hard for most of us to think about what it will be like in 40 years, but we will still be here trying to use the same body to get through the day. So the old wisdom of moderation in all things is probably best.

To find out a wise regimen you might talk to some older fighters. For example when I was running some runners told me that injuries occurred mostly from running over 30 miles a week, so I kept it down to 4 miles a day, with very, very occasional runs of 10-12 miles. I still have the long term problems though.

best wishes,

roy

Well... I know enough not to run 4 miles a day every day. :)

"Eat right, excercise regularly, die anyway."

Grappling is very safe, actually. I don't know how much you know of it, but basically it consists of putting people in locks and chokes to make them submit. Nobody is trying to kill you, and you get enough time to submit without breaking anything or blacking out. Of course, freak accidents happen. One guy blew out his ACL when trying to do a throw, popped elbows happen every now and then (not broken, just pops), but if you train smart you can minimize those risks.

The whole reason Judo was created is because back in the day Jujitsu had nasty throws and locks that were very dangerous. And, the only way they could be practiced was on compliant partners. Jigoro Kano decided that this kind of training was ineffective, so he made people practice on resisting partners. Obviously, you can only get thrown on your head so many times before you have to go to the hospital, so Kano "watered down" the techniques to make them safer, so you can keep practicing and not get injured. It's still effective, though. The reason people don't get injured is becuase they are taught how to fall correctly, and they practice on mats. You throw someone on concrete, though, and it won't be pretty. =S

Then, Judo came to Brazil, it was modified a bit, and you get Brazilian Jujitsu, what I practice.

Striking is obviously more dangerous, but nosebleeds and bruises heal. Brain damage is the only real worry, but that can't be avoided, really. But I want to go into no-holds-barred fights, not boxing, so instead of getting punched a few hundred times a fight, I might get punched like 20 or so.

Anyway, I like it, I think it's worth the risk. I hope to keep training well into my 50's unless I get in some freak accident. :)

PL

What is the difference between physics and electrical engineering?

Physics is the study of the fundamental laws and principles that govern the behavior of matter and energy. It seeks to understand the natural world and its physical processes. Electrical engineering, on the other hand, is a specialized branch of engineering that focuses on the design, development, and application of electrical systems, devices, and technologies.

Do physics and electrical engineering have any overlap?

Yes, there is a significant overlap between physics and electrical engineering. Many principles and theories in physics, such as electromagnetism and quantum mechanics, are crucial in understanding and developing electrical systems and technologies. Furthermore, electrical engineers often use concepts from physics, such as thermodynamics and optics, in their work.

Which field has better career prospects, physics or electrical engineering?

Both fields have excellent career prospects, but they offer different opportunities. Physics graduates can pursue careers in research, academia, and industry, while electrical engineering graduates can work in a wide range of industries, including telecommunications, power generation, and electronics. Ultimately, the best career choice depends on one's interests and goals.

Is physics more theoretical while electrical engineering is more practical?

Physics and electrical engineering both involve theoretical and practical aspects. Physics research often involves developing and testing theories and models, while electrical engineering involves designing and building practical solutions to real-world problems. However, both fields require a combination of theoretical knowledge and practical skills for success.

Which field requires more advanced math, physics or electrical engineering?

Both fields require a strong foundation in math, including calculus, differential equations, and linear algebra. However, electrical engineering may require a higher level of math proficiency, as it often involves complex calculations and simulations for designing and analyzing electrical systems and devices.