Getting Rid of iLivid Annoyance on Chrome

• Thread starter Medgirl314
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Chrome
In summary: Selecting "disable all" in msconfig will disable all the startup programs, including the one you think is causing the issue. So even if the program is still installed, it will not run in safe mode.
Medgirl314
I must have downloaded something off Google Chrome, unaware it came with iLivid. I have deleted it from the control center, I have scanned for viruses, I have cleared all my history using the google "beginning of time" option. It will not leave. It pops up with an ad at least a few times a week. Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

Computer science news on Phys.org
I googled it and it looks like some kind of a download manager. I would like to confirm, is this what you are dealing with?
http://s3.amazonaws.com/crunchbase_prod_assets/assets/images/original/0007/8842/78842v2.jpg

I would go through the installed programs list again (Control Panel > Programs & Features). Take your time and go through the list and look for the program in question. If it's there, uninstall it.

Assuming that failed, first thing you want to do is restart the computer and Safemode w/networking. If you don't know how, then just google "safemode with networking OS" replace OS with whatever your operating system is XP, win7 etc.

Follow the steps and get into safemode. Once there, let's take a look at your startup routine. Start>msconfig
It will look like this
MSConfig_screenshot.png

Click on the startup tab. This will show you a list of all the programs that are going to start when your computer turns on. I suggest clicking on Disable All. The reason is that none of those programs are usually critical for the system to work.
Perf2_msconfig_startup.GIF

Then apply the changes and reboot the system and enter windows normally. Try to see if the iLivid program starts showing advertisements again. If they do not, then one of the programs in that list was the problem. Then you simply have to go through that list (or post a list of all the items in this thread) and manually delete the files causing the issue.

Normally, the names are descriptive enough so that you will know what the program is. If you do not, then scroll right and take a look at what the entry is under the Command column. Google the file name and it will give you a good indication of what program is and then you can decide if you need it or not.

Let us know if this helps.

Likes 1 person
Thank you! The program list hasn't helped, but I will try the startup. Yes, it is a video manager usually packaged with other apps. I can't seem to get to the startup list, but I will post again when I do.

What operating system are you running? XP, 7 or 8? I can give you step by step instructions to open the msconfig tool.

Likes 1 person
Windows 8. I found directions that said to restart the computer and push F8 and I could get to the msconfig tool from there, but for some reason it's not working. Thank you!

You probably don't have the timing right. Windows is only listening for the F8 key stroke for a few seconds and if you don't press it in that window, it won't work.
This is what needs to happen
Restart your computer > BIOS Splash Screen > Immediately after the BIOS splash screen (screen goes dark) and before the windows logo, you need to hit the F8 key a few times.
If you see the windows logo, then its too late. You will need to reboot and try again.

Likes 1 person
Okay, I figured it was the timing. Excuse my ignorance with computers, but is the BIOS Splash screen just the name for what the screen looks like when you start it?

This is why I am going to be a doctor and not a computer tech. xD

yes, that's exactly it. Apologies, I should have been more specific.
Here's an example of what a BIOS splash screen looks like.
http://goo.gl/2PfNwy

Your's will likely be different (they depend on who made the motherboard inside your computer) but they will look similar. So right after that screen and before windows pops up is when you need to press F8.

Likes 1 person
Ah, got it. Thank you! No apology needed, you're much more explanatory and polite than a lot of people I have encountered on this board. I will try it and let you know.

I tied it, I pushed F8 a few times when the BIOS splash screen appeared but before the Windows sign did. It won't open the configuration, I must be missing something. I just realized I actually have Windows 7, not 8.

Great! In safe mode. So what am I selecting now? I went to msconfig and selected "disable all" before I went into safe mode, but I don't know if I should have because I thought the whole point of this was to select that option.

Yes, I would start by disabling all items under Startup. Make sure you do not make any changes under services, this can really break your computer.
Once this is done, go back under the boot tab and UNCHECK the safemode option. Apply the changes and restart your computer. This will instruct windows to NOT start any extra programs when you log into your account in windows. There's a good chance that whatever is generating the popup advertisements will get turned off too.

Then just use your computer like you normally do and check to see if you still get the advertisements. If you do not, then the program creating the advertisements was one of the programs in that start up list. Then you have to go through that list line by line and try to identify which one is the problem program.

Likes 1 person
Okay, I did all of that. No ads yet! Although I haven't figured out the pattern for their appearances yet, so they could come back. I will give it awhile and see if it does and then I can root through the programs. Thank you again!

No problem.
I would go through the list sooner rather than later. Sometimes programs you use may get turned off. Just manually launching those programs usually resolves the issue but it's something to keep in mind.

Best of luck. Cheers!

Thanks! I'll have to keep that in mind. I'm not sure what program it is right now because I've gone through the list and almost all the programs are the ones from Microsoft. Have you heard of Alps Electric Co. as a manufacturer for programs? Looks off to me. I looked it up and only found an electric company having nothing to do with my computer.

Alps does touchpad mice. Is this a notebook computer?
Look under the command column, it will give you a full path and a filename. That's your best indicator.

Notebook = laptop.
I do not like the word laptop because it implies that you can place the computer on your lap, which is like choking your computer as your lap covers the air vents on the back of the system.

Yeah, it's probably just the touchpad driver. I wouldn't worry about it.

If you don't know immediately what the file is then just google the filename
For example, the command column says:
c:\windows\igfxtray.exe
then
c:\windows\ -----> Location
igfxtray.exe -----> filename

google igfxtray.exe and try to find out what it is.

Google results will generally tell you where it should be. Google search will tell you that this is an intel graphics application (the system tray icon) and all the links should say it's located at
c:\windows\system32\igfxtray.exe
but in our example its
c:\windows\igfxtray.exe
This is one way spyware hides, uses a common good program's filename but in a different location than normal. So in this example, I would leave this one unchecked because its suspicious.

That sort of idea.

Sorry about the wait! Thanks for the tips. I'll have to individually search all the files as none of them look suspicious. xD Oh, well.

1. What is iLivid and why is it annoying on Chrome?

iLivid is a video downloading software that is often bundled with other free software downloads. It can be annoying on Chrome because it changes your default search engine and homepage without your consent.

2. How did iLivid get installed on my Chrome browser?

iLivid can get installed on your Chrome browser if you downloaded a free software that had it bundled as a package. It is important to always carefully read through the installation prompts and opt out of any additional software that you do not want.

3. How can I remove iLivid from my Chrome browser?

To remove iLivid from your Chrome browser, go to the "Settings" menu, then click on "Extensions." Find iLivid in the list of extensions and click on the trash can icon to remove it. You may also need to change your default search engine and homepage back to your preferred settings.

4. Is iLivid harmful to my computer?

No, iLivid is not considered a harmful software. However, it can be annoying and intrusive, and it is always recommended to remove any unwanted software from your computer.

5. How can I prevent iLivid from being installed on my Chrome browser in the future?

To prevent iLivid or other unwanted software from being installed on your Chrome browser, always be cautious when downloading free software and read through the installation prompts carefully. You can also consider using a reputable antivirus software that can scan for and block potentially harmful downloads.