Is Philosophy Excluded from Science Forums?

• Thread starter rbj
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about the presence of philosophy in different forums on the website and the decision to close the philosophy forum due to difficulty in moderating it. There is also mention of the "demise" of a user named MIH who used to moderate the philosophy forum, and a link to a thread discussing the decision to close the forum.
rbj
so "no philosophy" here?

really??

Re: this thread closed by Evo. i think it's as legit a question as one about Multiverses or String Theory, both being quite speculative.

no philosophy of physics nor philosphy of science? no philosophy floating around in the Cosmology forum? nor the Beyond the Standard Model forum?

why do they call those credentials a "PhD"?

i think there is even a philosophy of engineering.

just curious.

Physics news on Phys.org
With the "demise" of MIH, there is nobody here to moderate a philosophy sub-forum. Some mentors seem quite disinclined to tolerate a trend back there, sticking to hard sciences instead. When I studied philosophy 40+ years ago, the course structure was almost completely "comparative religion", so the speculative edges of that field were replaced by religious history. I really enjoyed that area of study.

Sorry rbj, but due to the inability to keep "philosophy' under control, we finally had to make the decision to do away with the philosophy forum.

See one of the threads about it here.

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=671896

Last edited:

1. What is "So no philosophy here?"

"So no philosophy here" is a common phrase used to indicate that a discussion or conversation should not involve any philosophical or abstract concepts.

2. Why is "So no philosophy here?" often used in scientific settings?

In scientific settings, discussions and debates are often focused on empirical evidence and tangible facts, rather than abstract ideas or philosophical theories. Therefore, "So no philosophy here?" is used to steer the conversation towards more concrete topics.

3. Is "So no philosophy here?" dismissive of philosophy?

No, "So no philosophy here?" is not meant to dismiss or devalue philosophy. It simply serves as a reminder to stay on topic and avoid getting sidetracked by abstract discussions.

4. Can "So no philosophy here?" be used in other contexts besides science?

Yes, "So no philosophy here?" can be used in any context where the focus is on practical or concrete matters. For example, it could be used in a business meeting to redirect the conversation towards tangible solutions rather than abstract ideas.

5. How can I respectfully use "So no philosophy here?" in a conversation?

If you want to steer a conversation away from philosophical discussions, you can simply say "So no philosophy here?" or "Let's focus on more concrete topics." It's important to use a polite and respectful tone to avoid offending anyone who may enjoy philosophical discussions.