Maths regarding the dimensions of a force field.

In summary, the conversation discussed the concept of a force field capable of shielding a continent and its visibility from different distances. It was clarified that the properties of the force field can be attributed as desired, and the calculation for the distance at which an object is hidden by the curvature of the Earth was provided. The distance of 1133.9 km was determined for the force field to be visible.
Kepler20f
This question mixes the fantastical notion of a force field with some down to Earth mathematics, and it’s the latter I need help with please!

Assuming the following:

• a truly huge force field capable of shielding a continent, i.e. along the coastline,
• it is visible as a coloured shimmer,
• it reaches roughly as high as the definition of the edge of space, say 100km,
• all of this on a planet the size of Earth (say exactly the same for the sake of calculations),

and taking into account the curvature of the planet, how far away would the force field be visible? I’m wondering about observers on neighbouring continents, or on ships, how close would they have to be to see it?

Physics news on Phys.org
As you said yourself the notion of a force field is fantastical so you can attribute any properties to it you like.

However if you are simply asking how distant an object has to be to be hidden by the curvature of the earth, google "horizon distance".

Last edited:
Yes that was exactly what I was asking for, thank you. I thought I'd made that pretty unambiguous actually! I was not in any way asking about properties of force fields. I don't know where you got that from...
The answer of 1133.9 km was not as high as I'd hoped but there you go.

1. What are the three dimensions of a force field?

The three dimensions of a force field are magnitude, direction, and location. Magnitude refers to the strength of the force, direction refers to the direction in which the force acts, and location refers to the point where the force is applied.

2. How is the magnitude of a force field measured?

The magnitude of a force field is typically measured in units of force, such as Newtons (N). This can be determined using specialized equipment, such as a force sensor, or by performing calculations based on the properties of the field.

3. Can a force field have more than three dimensions?

No, a force field is typically described using three dimensions - length, width, and height. However, some theoretical models may incorporate additional dimensions to account for complex forces.

4. How does the direction of a force field affect its impact?

The direction of a force field determines the direction in which an object will move when subjected to the force. For example, a force field pointing upwards will cause an object to move upwards, while a force field pointing downwards will cause the object to move downwards.

5. Can the location of a force field be changed?

Yes, the location of a force field can be changed by moving the source of the force or by altering the properties of the field. This can have a significant impact on the strength and direction of the force, and thus the resulting effects on objects within the field.