Snow Rollers: Have You Seen Them?

• Thread starter jtbell
  • Start date
In summary, "snow rollers" are a rare natural phenomenon where strong winds blow across the ground after a fresh snowfall, creating snowball-like formations that resemble doughnuts or jelly rolls. They are most commonly seen in snow-prone areas, but many people, including those who have lived in these areas for over 30 years, have never witnessed them. They require a unique combination of strong winds and fresh snow to form. Many people find them fascinating and are surprised to learn about them.
jtbell
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Have anybody here ever seen a "snow roller"? It's basically a snowball (actually more like a doughnut or jelly roll) created by strong wind blowing across the ground after a fresh snowfall:

SnowBales01.JPG

http://www.newsnet5.com/weather/winter/snow-rollers-invade-northeast-ohio

I spent my first 30+ years in northeast Ohio and other snow-prone areas, but I've never seen them myself!

Last edited by a moderator:
Earth sciences news on Phys.org
Yea same, I only just read about them on BBCNews. 30 some odd winters and never seen one either. Must require some unique set of variables, like you say, it must be some really strong wind!

Those are cool.

That's pretty neat !
never seen or heard of before
learn something new every day ! :smile:

cheers
Dave

I find the phenomenon of snow rollers fascinating. While they may seem like a simple snowball created by wind, there are actually several factors that contribute to their formation. The first important factor is the type of snow that is needed - it must be wet and sticky enough to hold its shape, but not too wet that it becomes too heavy to be rolled. The second factor is the wind - it must be strong enough to move the snow, but not too strong that it breaks apart the snowball. Additionally, the terrain must be just right, with a slight slope and a smooth surface for the snow to roll on.

Snow rollers are a rare occurrence and require a unique combination of weather conditions. They are more commonly seen in areas with hilly terrain and strong winds, such as the Great Lakes region in the United States. In fact, the recent sightings of snow rollers in northeast Ohio are not surprising, as this area is known for its lake-effect snow and strong winds.

Studying snow rollers can provide valuable insights into the dynamics of wind and snow, as well as the formation of different types of snow. It also highlights the delicate balance of factors that are necessary for such a unique phenomenon to occur.

I encourage anyone who has the opportunity to witness snow rollers to take a moment to appreciate the intricate processes that led to its formation. It is a reminder of the beauty and complexity of nature and the importance of understanding the world around us.

1. What are snow rollers and how are they formed?

Snow rollers are a rare and natural phenomenon that occur in snowy conditions. They are cylindrical-shaped snowballs that are formed when strong winds blow over a layer of snow with a thin layer of ice on top. This allows the snow to easily detach and roll, creating a snow roller.

2. How big can snow rollers get?

The size of snow rollers can vary greatly, but on average they are about the size of a tennis ball. However, some have been reported to be as big as a car tire.

3. Where can snow rollers be found?

Snow rollers are most commonly found in open, hilly areas with smooth, uninterrupted snow cover. They are more likely to form in areas with a thin layer of ice on top of the snow, such as after a light snowfall followed by freezing temperatures.

4. Are snow rollers dangerous?

No, snow rollers are not dangerous. They are a natural phenomenon and do not pose any threat to humans or animals. However, it is important to be cautious when exploring areas where snow rollers have formed, as the terrain may be uneven and slippery.

5. How long do snow rollers last?

The lifespan of snow rollers can vary depending on weather conditions. They can last anywhere from a few hours to a few days, but typically they will melt or break apart once the winds die down or the temperature rises above freezing.