Learning about and building engines

In summary, Jack recommends reading Internal Combustion Engine in Theory and Practice, Volumes 1 & 2.
QuinnMcHugh
Hi guys,
I'm an incoming engineering student at Ohio State and am really fascinated with what goes on under the hood of my car. I've done about 20 minutes of fruitless light searching on how engines work and wanted to know if there are any classic textbooks or resources on this topic. Also, I'd like my book learning to culminate in constructing something tangible of my own. Any advice?

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Start with the small stuff. Get some junk lawn mowers and things of this nature and start digging.

I'll be sure to get my hands on some examples to emulate, but what I'm more interested in is automotive theory and engine blueprints, preferably from an applied physics point of view. Are there any industry standard texts or mechanics guides that assume beginner level knowledge, and take you through building your own motor?

welcome! you are the future. I went to BGSU because the prof there had a Formula car and raced SCCA. His car was raced at Indy about 5 years prior. They also had an engine dyno that I rebuilt for the University. You missed a golden opportunity last night. Start going to Columbus Motor Speedway. You can get a pit pass and find a crew located in Columbus. You have several good engine builders in Columbus. May even get a part timer job learning the tricks of the trade. Racing is alive and well in the Capitol! Jegs started in Columbus. Jack Roush was based out of Columbus in the late 1960s. National Trail Dragway is a national drag strip just south of Columbus. You would be surprised at the young kids racing entry level cars at these events.

Likes 1 person
Wow, pantaz, those links were great! I think I'm going to buy Internal Combustion Engine in Theory and Practice, Volumes 1 & 2 as they look perfect for my interests. And Mike, I had no clue that Columbus was a mini-hub of racing and auto development. I'll be sure to check it out soon. Thanks guys.

Hmmm, seems like a good resource for engine and auto analysis. I'll keep it in mind once I build something of my own. Thanks, Jack.

1. What are the basic principles of engine operation?

The basic principles of engine operation involve the conversion of heat energy into mechanical energy through combustion of fuel. This process occurs in a controlled manner within the engine's cylinders, which are equipped with pistons that move up and down to power the engine.

2. What are the main components of an engine?

The main components of an engine include the cylinders, pistons, crankshaft, camshaft, valves, fuel system, and ignition system. These components work together to facilitate the combustion process and convert it into mechanical energy.

3. What is the difference between a 2-stroke and 4-stroke engine?

A 2-stroke engine completes the combustion process in two strokes of the piston (one up and one down), while a 4-stroke engine completes it in four strokes (intake, compression, power, exhaust). 2-stroke engines are typically simpler and more compact, but 4-stroke engines are more fuel efficient and produce less emissions.

4. How do you maintain and troubleshoot engine problems?

Maintaining an engine involves regular oil changes, checking and replacing filters, and keeping all components clean and in good condition. Troubleshooting engine problems involves identifying symptoms, such as strange noises or loss of power, and using diagnostic tools to pinpoint the issue, which can then be addressed through repairs or replacements.

5. How can I improve the performance of my engine?

There are several ways to improve engine performance, including upgrading components such as the air intake or exhaust system, using higher quality fuel, and adjusting the engine's timing and tuning. Regular maintenance and proper upkeep can also help ensure optimal performance from an engine.