Simplifying a differential equation

In summary, a differential equation is a mathematical equation used to describe the relationship between a function and its derivatives. Simplifying a differential equation can make it easier to solve and understand, and there are various techniques to do so. However, some common mistakes to avoid include forgetting constants of integration and making errors in algebraic manipulation. Not all differential equations can be simplified in a closed form, and some may require numerical methods or approximation techniques. Additionally, certain types of differential equations may not have a general solution and can only be solved for specific initial conditions.
mash17
When I multiply out the first line I end up with an extra (dA/dx)*(dσ/dx). Can someone please show me how i get from the first line to the second. Thanks

Attachments

• j9kqT3d.png
    j9kqT3d.png
    3.1 KB · Views: 454
Physics news on Phys.org
The extra term is dA/dx · dσ/dx · dx · dx, which can be dropped because dx is an infinitesimal quantity and this term is second order in dx, infinitesimally smaller than the term you keep, which is first order.

What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between a function and its derivatives. It is commonly used to model natural phenomena in physics, engineering, and other fields.

Why do we need to simplify a differential equation?

Simplifying a differential equation can make it easier to solve and understand. It can also help us identify important features of the equation, such as its general solution or particular solutions for specific initial conditions.

How do you simplify a differential equation?

There are various techniques for simplifying a differential equation, such as separation of variables, substitution, and integrating factors. The specific method used will depend on the type of differential equation and its complexity.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when simplifying a differential equation?

Some common mistakes to avoid when simplifying a differential equation include forgetting to account for constants of integration, making errors in algebraic manipulation, and overlooking any restrictions on the variables or solutions.

Can all differential equations be simplified?

Not all differential equations can be simplified in a closed form. Some may require numerical methods or approximation techniques to find a solution. In addition, certain types of differential equations, such as nonlinear or partial differential equations, may not have a general solution and can only be solved for specific initial conditions.