Differential equations and Cramer's rule

This is an exact differential equation, and its general solution isy = C1 + C2x + x^2.The "general solution" means that for any (fixed) values of C1 and C2, the equation is satisfied.
JasonHathaway
Hi everyone,

I'm taking the Differential Equations for the first time, and I want to know the most helpful textbook for the subject.

We had the following example:
Find the differential equation which its general solution is:
[itex]y=C_{1}+C_{2} x+x^{2}[/itex]

Solution:
[itex]y^{'}=0+C x+2x[/itex]
[itex]y^{''}=0+0+2[/itex]

Solving:

[itex]
\begin{bmatrix}
y-x^{2} & 1 & x \\
y^{'}-2x & 0 & 1 \\
y^{''}-2 & 0 & 1
\end{bmatrix}

y^{''}=2
[/itex]

How and why did the equations become like that?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
JasonHathaway said:
Hi everyone,

I'm taking the Differential Equations for the first time, and I want to know the most helpful textbook for the subject.

We had the following example:
Find the differential equation which its general solution is:
[itex]y=C_{1}+C_{2} x+x^{2}[/itex]

Solution:
[itex]y^{'}=0+C x+2x[/itex]
The above should be y' = 0 + C2 + 2x
JasonHathaway said:
[itex]y^{''}=0+0+2[/itex]

Solving:

[itex]
\begin{bmatrix}
y-x^{2} & 1 & x \\
y^{'}-2x & 0 & 1 \\
y^{''}-2 & 0 & 1
\end{bmatrix}

y^{''}=2
[/itex]

How and why did the equations become like that?

You have these equations:
y = C1 + C2x + x2
y' = C2 + 2x
y'' = 2

The three equations above can be rewritten as
y - x2 = C1 + C2x
y' - 2x = C2
y'' - 2 = 2

Now why someone would want to do this, I have no idea, nor do I understand what the matrix means. Also, as you wrote it, you have the matrix times y'' being equal to 2. I don't know if that's what you meant to write.

Generally, when you're working with differential equations, you are given an equation, and asked to find the solution, not the other way around, as in this problem.

Since you know the solution (y = C1 + C2x + x2), and have determined from it that y'' = 2, that seems to me to be all you need to do. That's your differential equation, and its general solution (which you can get by integrating it twice) would be y = C1 + C2x + x2.

You have three linear equations for two unknowns, C1 and C2. Cramer's Rule gives the consistency condition, namely that the determinant of the coefficients is zero. In this case,
[tex]\left|\begin{array}{ccc}1&x&y - x^2\\0&1&y' - 2x\\0&0&y'' - 2\end{array}\right| = 0[/tex]
or y'' = 2.

1. What are differential equations?

Differential equations are mathematical equations that describe how a quantity changes over time. They involve derivatives, which represent the rate of change of a variable with respect to another variable.

2. What is Cramer's rule?

Cramer's rule is a method for solving systems of linear equations. It involves using determinants to find the values of the variables in the equations.

3. How are differential equations and Cramer's rule related?

Differential equations can be solved using Cramer's rule if the equation is linear and the initial values are known. Cramer's rule provides a systematic way of finding the solution to a system of linear equations, which can be used to solve certain types of differential equations.

4. What are the applications of differential equations and Cramer's rule?

Differential equations and Cramer's rule have various applications in fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and biology. They are used to model and analyze systems that change over time, such as population growth, chemical reactions, and electric circuits.

5. Are there any limitations to using Cramer's rule to solve differential equations?

Yes, there are some limitations to using Cramer's rule. It can only be used to solve linear differential equations and requires the initial values to be known. Additionally, it can be computationally intensive for large systems of equations. Other methods, such as numerical methods, may be more efficient for solving certain types of differential equations.