Understanding S-matrix elements in QFT

In summary, the S-operator tells you how much the interacting time evolution differs from the free time evolution.
"Don't panic!"
Hi,

I was wondering if I could test my understanding on the S-matrix and its role in evolving initial states of systems to final states (after some scattering process has occurred).

Would it be correct to say the following:

Given a system in an initial state [itex] \vert i \rangle[/itex], the final state, [itex] \vert f \rangle[/itex] of the system, at a sufficiently long time after some scattering process can be mapped to by the so-called S-operator, [itex]S=\lim_{t\rightarrow\infty,\,t_{0}\rightarrow\infty} U\left(t,t_{0}\right)[/itex] (where [itex]U[/itex] is the unitary time-evolution operator) i.e.

[itex]\vert f \rangle=S\vert i \rangle[/itex]​

Is it then correct to say that the S-operator annihilates the initial state [itex] \vert i \rangle[/itex] and creates the final state [itex] \vert f \rangle[/itex]?
Also, would it then be correct to say that the S-matrix element [itex] \langle f\vert S\vert i \rangle[/itex] corresponding to the given scattering process gives the vacuum expectation values (v.e.v) for the appropriate annihilation and creation operators involved?

Sorry for any inaccuracies, hoping to gain a more in depth understanding of the concept. Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
The formula you wrote

[itex]S=\lim_{t\rightarrow\infty,\,t_{0}\rightarrow -\infty} U\left(t,t_{0}\right)[/itex]

doesn't have a fixed limit. The correct formula for the S-operator is

[itex]S= \lim_{t\rightarrow\infty,\,t_{0}\rightarrow -\infty} U^{-1}_0\left(t,t_{0}\right) U\left(t,t_{0}\right) = \lim_{t\rightarrow\infty,\,t_{0}\rightarrow -\infty} U_0\left(t_{0}, t\right) U\left(t,t_{0}\right) [/itex]

where [itex] U_0\left(t_{0}, t\right) [/itex] is the free (non-interacting) time evolution operator.

ok, thanks for providing the correct one.

Am I correct about the other bits though?

Assuming that we are working in the Schroedinger picture and that the initial state [itex] \vert i \rangle[/itex] is at time [itex] t_0 = -\infty [/itex] and the final state [itex] \vert f \rangle[/itex] is at time [itex] t = +\infty [/itex], then correct formulas connecting these states are

[itex]\vert f \rangle=S U_0\left(t,t_{0}\right) \vert i \rangle = U_0\left(t,t_{0}\right) S \vert i \rangle[/itex]​

In my course we've been working in the interaction picture.
Would my heuristic explanation of what the S-operator physically does be correct though?

In my opinion, the interaction picture is rather confusing and not easy to visualize. But the Schroedinger picture is very transparent. For example, when there is no interaction, which means that [itex]S=1 [/itex], then the time evolution of states is governed by the free time evolution operator

[itex]\vert f \rangle=U_0\left(t,t_{0}\right) \vert i \rangle [/itex]​

When there is interaction, the time evolution is governed by the full interacting time evolution operator

[itex]\vert f \rangle=U\left(t,t_{0}\right) \vert i \rangle [/itex]​

This formula is very difficult for calculations, but the whole idea of the scattering theory is that this formula can be simplified without any loss of accuracy

[itex]\vert f \rangle=U\left(t,t_{0}\right) \vert i \rangle = S U_0\left(t,t_{0}\right) \vert i \rangle[/itex]​

This means that you can evolve your state by the (very simple) free evolution operator, and then multiply the result by the S-operator. So, basically, the S-operator tells you by how much the interacting time evolution differs from the free time evolution.

Ah, ok. Thank you for your help.

What is the S-matrix in quantum field theory?

The S-matrix is a mathematical object that represents the probability amplitude for particles to interact and scatter in a quantum field theory. It is a key concept in understanding the interactions of particles and their behavior in a quantum field.

How are S-matrix elements calculated in quantum field theory?

S-matrix elements are calculated using mathematical techniques, such as perturbation theory and Feynman diagrams, which involve summing over all possible paths of particle interactions. These calculations can be quite complex and require advanced mathematical skills.

What is the physical significance of S-matrix elements?

The S-matrix elements provide important information about the scattering amplitudes and cross sections of particles in a quantum field theory. They also allow us to make predictions about the behavior of particles in high energy collisions, which can be tested in experiments.

How does the S-matrix relate to other concepts in quantum field theory?

The S-matrix is closely related to other concepts in quantum field theory, such as the Hamiltonian operator and the propagator. It is also related to the concept of unitarity, which states that the total probability of all possible outcomes must equal one.

What are the limitations of using S-matrix elements in quantum field theory?

S-matrix elements are limited in their ability to describe certain physical phenomena, such as bound states and non-perturbative effects. They also do not take into account the effects of virtual particles in calculations.