Is Mechanical Engineering Right for Me Despite Struggles in Math?

• Thread starter badman
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Engineer
In summary, the person enjoys mechanical engineering and is taking difficult courses in physics and calculus. They have considered pre-med but have doubts about their math skills. They want to become a mechanical engineer but are worried about their math abilities. The expert suggests focusing on math and finding where their true interests lie in order to succeed in their chosen field.
badman
p prefer mechanical i think ill enjoy that more then the other engineering fields. thing is i never knew i was going to be taking courses this hard( okay that's a lie) but i guess its the college life that's getting to me. right now I am taking physics with cal 1 which is pretty damn hard, if you hang out in the college level homework help forum I am sure youve seen me. I am really not interested in anything else, i was thinking pre-med but i chnaged my mind. I am not that good in math, I am sure if i out myself to it i could be. but i think I am a little slow in that department, maybe. i could be doubting myself tho. what really has me worried is that well I am not that good in math, i mean I've passed all my math course with a C or better, never failed a math course before. but i have doubts. i really want to become an engineer, but it's the math I am worried about. especially word problems, like the on in physics with cal 1.

do you think i could do well and become an mechanical engineer?
i know its a question i should ask myself which i think i can answer yes to, but i keep having doubts.

Physics news on Phys.org
sure , why not? what someone else can do, you can do. the crucial issue is whether you want to do it. if so, you will focus your energies that way and succeed against all odds. god willing of course.

first find where your heart is, then it will be much easier to succeeed in that direction than any other, if it is at all reasonable.

and be realistic. if math is your weak point, focus on math for some time.

Last edited:

Becoming an engineer, whether it be mechanical or any other field, requires a strong foundation in mathematics. It is great that you have a preference for mechanical engineering and have a passion for it. However, it is important for you to have a solid understanding and proficiency in math in order to excel in this field. It is understandable that college courses can be challenging and may make you doubt your abilities, but it is important to remember that with dedication and hard work, you can improve your math skills and succeed in your courses.

It is also important to keep in mind that engineering is not just about solving math problems. It involves critical thinking, problem-solving, and creativity. These skills can be developed and improved with practice and experience. So, even if you feel like you are not the strongest in math, do not let that discourage you from pursuing your dream of becoming an engineer.

You mentioned that you have doubts about your abilities, but it is important to believe in yourself and your potential. If you have a passion for mechanical engineering and are willing to put in the effort, then there is no reason why you cannot become a successful mechanical engineer. It is important to have a positive mindset and not let doubts hold you back from reaching your goals.

In conclusion, becoming an engineer requires a strong foundation in math, but it is not the only factor that determines success. With determination, hard work, and a positive mindset, you can overcome any challenges and become a successful mechanical engineer. Trust in yourself and your abilities, and do not let doubts hold you back from pursuing your dreams.

1. Should I become an engineer if I am good at math and science?

While being good at math and science is certainly helpful for becoming an engineer, it is not the only requirement. Engineering also involves problem-solving, critical thinking, and strong communication skills. So, if you enjoy these subjects and have a passion for problem-solving, then engineering may be a good fit for you.

2. What are the job prospects for engineers?

The job prospects for engineers are generally good. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the employment of engineers is projected to grow 4% from 2019 to 2029, which is about as fast as the average for all occupations. Additionally, engineers often have a variety of job opportunities in different industries, making it a versatile career path.

3. Is engineering a difficult field to study?

Engineering can be a challenging field of study, as it requires a strong foundation in math and science, as well as the ability to apply theoretical concepts to real-world problems. However, with hard work, dedication, and a strong interest in the subject, anyone can succeed in engineering.

4. What types of skills do engineers need?

Engineers need a wide range of skills, including technical skills such as problem-solving, critical thinking, and data analysis. They also need strong communication and teamwork skills, as engineering projects often involve collaboration with other professionals. Additionally, engineers need to be adaptable and willing to continue learning throughout their careers.

5. What are the different types of engineering?

There are many different types of engineering, including civil, mechanical, electrical, chemical, and computer engineering, among others. Each type focuses on a specific area of study and has its own unique set of skills and applications. It is important to research and explore the different types of engineering to determine which one aligns with your interests and goals.