How to satisfy Laplace's equation ?

In summary, the Laplace equation is satisfied if a function is harmonic on a domain, which means it is a solution of the equation. The function must also be C^{2} class on the domain, regardless of whether it is open or closed. This equation has physical significance in the distribution of temperature and has a maximum principle that is satisfied by holomorphic functions. Not all C^2 functions are harmonic, as shown by the example of z^2. In the classical theory of holomorphic functions, the existence of these functions was first proven using the Dirichlet principle, which was later confirmed by Neumann, Hilbert, and others. C.L. Siegel's "Topics in Complex Analysis" provides a detailed treatment of this
hotel
Hi

I am not quit sure I have understand the laplace equation correctly. I hope some one can help me with it.

As far as I understand if we are able to differentiate any function twice, then the function is harmonic.

so we assume [tex]V(x,y)[/tex] is harmonic because of the above.

Does it means that [tex]\nabla ^2V[/tex] is consequently equal to zero ?

How would V behave if

[tex]\nabla ^2V>0[/tex]
and
[tex]\nabla ^2V<0[/tex]
?

thanku

Physics news on Phys.org
Nope,a function is harmonic on a domain if it is a solution of Laplace equation in that domain.

Daniel.

so for which conditions are the Laplace equation not satisfied ?

Is it only at discontinuities in some region of a function and discontinuities at the boundaries of a function ?

One requirement is that the function be [itex] C^{2} [/itex] class on that domain.If that domain is open,you don't have any boundary conditions.

Daniel.

what if the domain is closed ? how are the boundary conditions in this case ?

Or the equation can only be satisfied under open domains?

It doesn't matter whether the domain is open or closed,the equation is the same,but the requirements on the function may differ from one case to another.

Daniel.

take any complex differentiable function, i.e. any analytic function such as a complex polynomial. then the real part is harmonic, and vice versa.

the property of harmonicity has a physical meaning with respect to perhaps the distribution of temperature in a disc.

certainly not all C^2 functions are harmonic. for one thing harmonic functions have the famous maximum principle satisfied by holomorphic i.e. analytic functions, they never take their maximum on any open set. (i think.)

e.g. let us consider z^2 = (x+iy)^2 = x^2 -y^2 + 2ixy. then x^2 -y^2 and also xy are harmonic, but just x^2 is not harmonic because the second derivative wrt x is 2, while the second deriv wrt y is 0. so they are not negatives of each other.

in the classical theory of holomorphic functions, proving they exist (with certain boundary properties) was done first by proving harmonic functions exist.

this is the famous Dirichlet principle, assumed by riemann and proved by Neumann and Hilbert, and others.

there is a beautiful treatment in the wonderful trilogy of books by c.l.siegel, "topics in complex analysis", where he essentially goes through riemann's thesis and part of his work on abelian functions and provides almost all rigorous details for riiemann's claims, especially in siegel's chapters 2 and 4.

Last edited:

1. What is Laplace's equation?

Laplace's equation is a second-order partial differential equation that describes the behavior of a scalar field in space. It is named after the mathematician Pierre-Simon Laplace and is widely used in physics and engineering to model various physical phenomena.

2. How is Laplace's equation solved?

Laplace's equation is solved by finding a function that satisfies the equation and also satisfies any boundary conditions or constraints. This can be done analytically for simple geometries or numerically for more complex situations.

3. What are the applications of Laplace's equation?

Laplace's equation has many applications in physics and engineering, including modeling of heat transfer, fluid flow, electrostatics, and gravitational fields. It is also used in image processing, signal processing, and data analysis.

4. What are the boundary conditions for Laplace's equation?

The boundary conditions for Laplace's equation depend on the specific problem being solved. They can include specifying the value of the function on the boundary, its derivative, or a combination of both. The boundary conditions help determine the unique solution to the equation.

5. Can Laplace's equation be solved for any shape or geometry?

Yes, Laplace's equation can be solved for any shape or geometry as long as the boundary conditions are specified. However, for complex shapes, the solution may need to be obtained numerically using computational methods.