Exploring Frictional Force and Its Dependence on Weight and Surface Area

• Thread starter michaelw
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Confused
In summary: I had no idea that friction depended on surface area! So if I have a large box with two different surfaces, the frictional force between the box and the surfaces would be greater than if I had a small box with only one surface?The amount of frictional force acting on a particular object is dependent on the weight on the object itself only.
michaelw
Im very confused as to why..

Physics news on Phys.org
Kinetic means sliding, as in surfaces rubbing together and just moving along with only one point of continuous contact. Static friction means the object is just sitting on the surface. While the tire rolls, it lays down a piece of tire that touches the ground, as the tire rolls, each part of the tire infront of the previous will make contact with the road.

There is no sliding contact.

Last edited:
thanks
so.. the force of friction (static) is always in the same direction as the car is moving?

does that mean that it is the static friction that alone (only force) that makes the car move? if so, then is the force on each tire m(of car)a(of car)/4 if there are 4 tires?

No friction is always against the direction of motion.
The power from the engine is what makes the car move.

The force of the tires on the floor is (uniform car) 1/4th of the car's weight at each tire. The tires are part of the car so it is not very useful to interpret their linear acceleration alone.

also, take a look at this picture
http://www.joma.org/images/cms_upload/banked_unbanked_roadway47540.gif [Broken]
it seems in both cases, there is no force shown that makes the car want to go straight (but according to inertia, the car will want to go straight).. in the first, there is static friction (centripital force) that acts to move the car to the left, in the second there's both centripital force as well as gravity..

but what is the force that is countering the forces to the left? why are forces to the left even required, if (according to the diagram) there's no force to the right (or straight).. if there is a force, what is its magnitude?

Last edited by a moderator:
michaelw said:
also, take a look at this picture
http://www.joma.org/images/cms_upload/banked_unbanked_roadway47540.gif [Broken]
it seems in both cases, there is no force shown that makes the car want to go straight (but according to inertia, the car will want to go straight)..
The law of inertia states that a body will continue moving in a straight line with constant speed unless a force is imposed on it. No force is needed to make the car "want" to go straight.

in the first, there is static friction (centripital force) that acts to move the car to the left, in the second there's both centripital force as well as gravity..
In the first picture, the centripetal force is provided by friction; in the second, the centripetal force is provided by the horizontal components of friction and the normal force.

but what is the force that is countering the forces to the left? why are forces to the left even required, if (according to the diagram) there's no force to the right (or straight).. if there is a force, what is its magnitude?
In order to turn to the left, the car must centripetally accelerate. (It's turning in a circle.) And that requires a force. (No force and the car would keep going straight.)

The forces pushing the car to the left are not countered by other forces! That's why the car accelerates to the left! (Since the car is moving forward, it doesn't just slide to the left--it turns in a circle. Review circular motion and centripetal acceleration.)

Last edited by a moderator:
michaelw said:
Im very confused as to why..
The force of friction you are referring to is the force of traction: the car tires pushing back on the road. The force of the traction is in the direction of motion of the car. It does no work on the car so it causes no energy to be lost. It doesn't slow the car down or resist its motion.

AM

I read somewhere that the amount of frictional force acting on the same object is not dependent on the surface area of the object in contact with the surface. Why is this so? In that case, can I say that the same amount of force will be required to push a rectangular box when it's standing on the 2 different surfaces of the box?

Can I infer from this that the amount of frictional force acting on a particular object is dependent on the weight on the object itself only? (Assuming the surface is uniform). If yes, why is it so?

Something out of interest, are there any mathematical methods to calculate when will the wheels of a car will skid when the brakes are stepped on? Its common sense that it will skid easier on more slippery surfaces but if anyone could link me to a web that shows explains this scientifically and mathematically it would be much appreciated.

Thanks everyone..

1. Why do I feel confused even when I have all the information?

Feeling confused can be caused by a variety of factors such as stress, fatigue, and information overload. It is important to take breaks and prioritize information in order to avoid feeling overwhelmed.

2. Can confusion be a sign of a medical condition?

Yes, confusion can be a symptom of various medical conditions such as dementia, depression, and thyroid problems. It is important to consult a doctor if confusion is persistent or accompanied by other symptoms.

3. How does lack of sleep contribute to confusion?

Lack of sleep can affect cognitive function and lead to difficulty concentrating and processing information, which can result in feeling confused. It is important to get enough quality sleep to maintain mental clarity.

4. Is confusion a normal part of aging?

As we age, our cognitive abilities may decline, leading to occasional confusion. However, persistent confusion can be a sign of a more serious medical condition and should be evaluated by a doctor.

5. Can certain medications cause confusion?

Yes, some medications can have side effects that include confusion. It is important to read and understand the potential side effects of any medication you are taking and to discuss any concerns with your doctor.