Uniform circular motion - centripetal force and banked curves

In summary, to negotiate an unbanked curve safely, a car must go at a certain speed and turn a certain angle.
dippedindettol
well first off, here's the problem:

A car can negotiate an unbanked curve safely at a certain maximum speed when the coefficient of static friction between the tires and the ground is 0.997. At what angle should the same curve be banked for the car to negotiate the curve safely at the same maximum speed without relying on friction?

now i honestly don't know how to go about doing this. i can't get the speed or even the force Fc, because the only cvariable given is the coefficient of static friction; no mass, no radius of curve, nothing.

is this one of those weird concept problems? can anyone guide me towards solving this?

thx alo

Physics news on Phys.org
You'd have better luck in the homework help section.

The trick to the banked curve problems is to realize that the force of friction and a certain component of the normal force add up to the centripetal force. The best way to see this is to start with a force diagram, and note that the vertical forces add up to zero.

Obviously since there are no numbers given, it is a conceptual problem. It wants you to compare the turning angle and speed with a banked curve as opposed to an unbanked curve. The banked curve I already described above, and for the unbanked curve, the friction force is the only contributor to the centripetal motion.

This is not a conceptual problem; you are given all the data you need to find the angle. (Since the max speed and the radius of the curve remain the same, they will drop out of the final result.)

Start by analyzing the unbanked curve. Apply Newton's 2nd law.

Then analyze the banked curve. Apply Newton's 2nd law for both horizontal and vertical directions.

You'll then combine all three equations to solve for the angle.

Hint: Does the centripetal acceleration change for the banked road case?

i once asked a question very similar to this (and it's solved). look at the posts i made to find that problem.

it might help a bit...

Last edited:

1. What is uniform circular motion?

Uniform circular motion is the motion of an object moving in a circular path at a constant speed. This means that the object is moving at the same speed and in the same direction at all points along the circular path.

2. What is centripetal force?

Centripetal force is the force that keeps an object moving in a circular path. It is always directed towards the center of the circle and is responsible for continuously changing the direction of the object's velocity.

3. How is centripetal force related to uniform circular motion?

In uniform circular motion, the centripetal force is equal in magnitude and opposite in direction to the object's centrifugal force. This means that the centripetal force is responsible for keeping the object from flying off in a straight line and instead making it move in a circular path.

4. What is the difference between centripetal force and centrifugal force?

Centripetal force is the force that keeps an object moving in a circular path, while centrifugal force is the apparent outward force that is experienced by the object due to its inertia. In reality, there is only centripetal force acting on the object, but centrifugal force is a useful concept for understanding the object's motion.

5. What are banked curves and how do they relate to centripetal force?

Banked curves are curves on a road or track that are elevated on the outer edge, making it easier for vehicles to turn at high speeds. The angle of the bank is designed such that it provides the necessary centripetal force to keep the vehicle moving in a circular path. If the vehicle is traveling faster than the designed speed, it will experience less centripetal force and may slip or skid off the curve.