Solving Mass Spectrometer Question: 24Mg & 25Mg Isotopes

In summary, the conversation discusses a question about an ion source containing two isotopes of magnesium and how far apart the lines on the ion deflector would be. The conversation includes calculations to determine the velocity and electric field, but the person is still unsure of the correct answer. They mention using the equation d=V/[E] but are still struggling to find the correct answer.
scorpa
Hey Everyone,

I just got to my last homework question, and well I got a bit stuck.

An ion source contains two isotopes of magnesium ( 24Mg, 25Mg). These ions travels undeflected through the velocity selector (B=0.850T, [E]=4.60x10^5V/m) of a mass spectrometer. If both isotopes are singly charged, how far apart are the lines on the ion deflector? Assume magnetic field strength in the ion separator in 0.250T.

First I went v=E/B 4.60x10^5V/m / 0.850T = 5.41x10^5m/s

Then I went Bv=E to find the new electric field

(0.250T)(5.41x10^5m/s) = 1.35 x 10^5 V/m

Now I really don't know what to do, or if that was even right. I know to find the distance I need to use the equation d=V/[E] but I just can't seem to get the right answer. Apparently the answer should be 0.045m. Thanks for any help you can give.

Physics news on Phys.org
Ok I went through it again and decided that to find my Voltage I needed to use change in energy over charge =V, so I went through and found the energy and divided by elementarty charge, then I put it into the equation d=V/electric field and still couldn't get hte answer, I am so lost!

Hi there,

It looks like you're on the right track! To find the distance between the two lines on the ion deflector, we need to use the equation d=V/[E], where d is the distance between the lines, V is the velocity of the ions, and [E] is the electric field strength.

You correctly found the velocity of the ions to be 5.41x10^5m/s. Next, we can use the new electric field strength you calculated (1.35 x 10^5 V/m) to find the distance between the lines:

d= (5.41x10^5m/s) / (1.35 x 10^5 V/m) = 0.04m

This is close to the expected answer of 0.045m, so it seems like you are on the right track! Just make sure to double check your calculations and units to ensure accuracy. Good luck with the rest of your homework!

1. What is a mass spectrometer?

A mass spectrometer is a scientific instrument used to determine the relative abundance and mass of atoms and molecules in a sample.

2. How does a mass spectrometer work?

A mass spectrometer works by ionizing a sample and then using electric and magnetic fields to separate the ions based on their mass-to-charge ratio. This produces a mass spectrum, which can be used to identify the composition of the sample.

3. Why are isotopes important in mass spectrometry?

Isotopes are important in mass spectrometry because they have different masses, allowing them to be differentiated by the instrument. This can provide valuable information about the composition and structure of a sample.

4. How do you solve for the abundance of different isotopes using a mass spectrometer?

To solve for the abundance of different isotopes, a mass spectrometer measures the relative intensity of the peaks in the mass spectrum and uses this information to calculate the relative abundance of each isotope present in the sample.

5. What is the significance of the 24Mg and 25Mg isotopes in this question?

In this question, the 24Mg and 25Mg isotopes are being used to demonstrate how the relative abundance of different isotopes can be calculated using a mass spectrometer. These specific isotopes are chosen because they have different masses, allowing for easy differentiation and calculation of their relative abundance.