Intermediate Dynamics Books for Lagrange, Hamilton & Canonical Transformations

In summary, intermediate dynamics books for Lagrange, Hamilton & Canonical Transformations cover essential topics such as Lagrangian mechanics, Hamiltonian mechanics, and canonical transformations in classical mechanics. They are not suitable for beginners and require a basic understanding of classical mechanics and calculus. Studying these concepts allows for a deeper understanding and problem-solving skills, providing a foundation for further studies. These books can be used for self-study or in a classroom setting, but it is recommended to consult with a teacher or professor for guidance. Some highly recommended books in this field include "Classical Mechanics" by Herbert Goldstein, "Introduction to Classical Mechanics" by David Morin, and "Classical Dynamics: A Contemporary Approach" by Jorge V. Jose and Eugene
Pyrrhus
Homework Helper
Hello, I'm looking for a good Dynamics Book. I got Engineering Mechanics: Dynamics by Andrew Pytel and Jaan Kiusalaas, but it's fairly introductional, i also got Classical Mechanics by Goldstein, which is advanced. I am looking for intermediate level.

I am looking mainly to learn the Lagrange and Hamilton Treatment, and Canonical Transformations.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Look for Marion and Thorndike, Classical Dynamics. I would consider it the best text to work through before tackling Goldstein.

Thanks Dr Transport, i will look into it, i was also checking out Greenwood's Advanced Dynamics.

1. What are the main topics covered in intermediate dynamics books for Lagrange, Hamilton & Canonical Transformations?

Intermediate dynamics books for Lagrange, Hamilton & Canonical Transformations typically cover topics such as Lagrangian mechanics, Hamiltonian mechanics, and canonical transformations. These concepts are essential for understanding the dynamics of systems in classical mechanics.

2. Are these books suitable for beginners in the field of dynamics?

No, these books are not suitable for beginners in the field of dynamics. A basic understanding of classical mechanics and calculus is necessary before diving into intermediate dynamics books for Lagrange, Hamilton & Canonical Transformations.

3. What are the benefits of studying Lagrange, Hamilton & Canonical Transformations?

Studying Lagrange, Hamilton & Canonical Transformations allows for a deeper understanding of classical mechanics and the ability to solve complex problems and analyze systems using different mathematical techniques. It also provides a foundation for further studies in advanced dynamics and other related fields.

4. Can these books be used for self-study or are they better suited for classroom use?

These books can be used for both self-study and in a classroom setting. However, due to the complexity of the topics, it is recommended to consult with a teacher or professor for clarification and further guidance.

5. Are there any recommended books for intermediate dynamics specifically focused on Lagrange, Hamilton & Canonical Transformations?

Yes, there are several highly recommended books for intermediate dynamics books focusing on Lagrange, Hamilton & Canonical Transformations, such as "Classical Mechanics" by Herbert Goldstein, "Introduction to Classical Mechanics" by David Morin, and "Classical Dynamics: A Contemporary Approach" by Jorge V. Jose and Eugene J. Saletan.