Study Guides for 4th Year MPhys Student (UK)

In summary, the conversation revolves around recommendations for study guides for the GRE general and physics subject tests. The participants share their experiences with different study materials, including Barron's and Kaplan's guides, and mention the importance of knowing Greek and Latin roots for the verbal section of the GRE. They also discuss the difficulty of the physics subject test and the availability of past papers for practice.
Baggio
Hi,

Could anyone recommend any study guides worth purchasing in preparation for the general and physics subject tests. I'm a 4th yea MPhys student (UK).

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Well yeah, but I was hoping someone would have a few recommendations based on experience.

GRE Verbal - Vocabulary test (kicked my butt)
GRE Math - Simple math, but watch out for trick questions... know that X^2=4 can have two solutions; understand the different types of numbers, and review the rudimentary geometry formulas; use trial and error if you get stuck

barron's guides

The Kaplan book with a CD was helpful. I went through the review modules on the CD and felt pretty well prepared. On the verbal section, I swear that the test is making up words as you go (knowing Greek and Latin is more effective than knowing words in general).

That was my only preparation for the GRE. I ended up with a (630V.800M), which is about as good as I was going to do with my limited Greek and Latin background. The Kaplan CD was money well spent. Good luck.

Greek... Latin... o_O

I thought it was supposed to test your English? (Gulp) :(

Hmm,well I started taking some of the tests on www.Number2.com some of the words they test you on you probably have never used or will ever use in the course of your life. But latin/Greek that's a bit worrying.

I'll check out Barron's and Kaplan's guides.

I didn't think the math section would be that basic. But seeing as though it's on the general paper and people from other disciplines will be taking it I guess it makes sense.

Thanks

Last edited:
Baggio said:
Greek... Latin... o_O

I thought it was supposed to test your English? (Gulp) :(

The GRE tests your knowledge of English words, but you have a better shot if you know the common Greek and Latin roots. There were many words that I had never even seen before, and I had scanned through the words on the Kaplan review CD. That's why it's helpful to be familiar with Greek and Latin. Hopefully I didn't scare you too much.

What about the physics subject test - how difficult is that?

The difficulty of the test really depends on your preparation. You may want to check out past copies of the exam.

I have a couple of practice tests... And I read that when you apply for the test they sand you a practice test.. where can one obtain the past papers?

1. How can study guides help me as a 4th year MPhys student?

Study guides can provide a structured overview of the course material, highlighting important topics and concepts. They can also offer tips and strategies for effective studying and time management. Additionally, study guides may include practice questions and exercises to help you prepare for exams.

2. Are study guides specific to my university or course?

Study guides can vary in specificity, but many are tailored to specific universities or courses. It is important to check that the study guide you are using aligns with your curriculum and course requirements.

3. Can I use study guides for subjects I struggle with?

Yes, study guides can be particularly helpful for difficult subjects. They can provide additional explanations and examples to help you better understand the material. Study guides can also offer alternative perspectives and approaches to challenging topics.

4. How can I find reliable study guides?

There are many sources for study guides, including textbooks, online resources, and study groups. It is important to choose study guides from reputable sources and to cross-check information with your course materials. Your professors and teaching assistants may also be able to recommend reliable study guides.

5. Is it necessary to use study guides if I attend all my lectures and take thorough notes?

While attending lectures and taking notes are important, study guides can offer a different perspective and help you identify key information and topics. They can also provide a comprehensive overview of the material, which can be beneficial for exam preparation. Ultimately, it is up to personal preference and studying style, but using study guides can be a helpful supplement to traditional studying methods.