Can Dynamic Signatures and Avatars Be Implemented on This Platform?

• Thread starter vincentm
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses whether or not it is possible to use images in a user's signature on the forum. The moderators explain that images and HTML are disabled in signatures to keep them simple and not distract from the posts. Some users express their dislike for animated images in signatures, citing bandwidth and visual clutter as reasons. One user even jokes about being a "puppy hater." Overall, the discussion concludes that it is best to keep signatures simple and not allow images or animations.
vincentm
IS this a possibility here? I have a set of images that i'd like to use at least for my sig. I assure they're not offensive images, Just ones of celestial objects.

Physics news on Phys.org
You could use an animated GIF.

I can't put images in my sig :frown:

I am not sure if I should say this or not, but have you tried using flash in your sig? With <embed> tags. I think that is what flash uses, but it has been a while.

We don't have any plans on implementing dynamic sigs or avatars. Images and HTML are disabled in sigs.

why, greg?

I think the idea is to keep the signatures simple, so they aren't distracting when people are reading through posts.

Moonbear said:
I think the idea is to keep the signatures simple, so they aren't distracting when people are reading through posts.
That makes sense to me :smile:

Moonbear said:

...and bandwidth if you uploaded your image here.

Animations are annoying and a waste of good bandwidth, IMO. I'm on dial up and waiting for a page to load for the thrill of viewing puppy ears flapping in the breeze is not my idea of time well spent.

Chronos said:
viewing puppy ears flapping in the breeze is not my idea of time well spent.
puppy hater :grumpy:

I tend to agree. Chronos is a puppy hater. :biggrin:

Seriously, I have visited other forums and the amount of "flair" that users were sporting was completely obnoxious. The animated junk in the signature is something like 20 x larger than the post itself. Between the avatar and the sig and everything else, you have to visually wade through a giant clutter of text and animated images just to finally pick out the user's reply, which is generally something like, "uh huh." :grumpy:

I'm happy that Danger's avatar isn't dynamic!:uhh:

I don't hate puppies. They are delicious deep fried.

1. What are dynamic sigs and avatars?

Dynamic sigs and avatars are customizable images or graphics that are used as a representation of an individual on online platforms, such as forums, social media, or messaging apps. They can be created or designed by the user or can be selected from a pre-made collection.

2. How are dynamic sigs and avatars different from regular images?

Dynamic sigs and avatars are different from regular images because they are usually smaller in size and are often animated or have moving elements. They are also more personalized and serve as a visual representation of the user's online identity.

3. What are the benefits of using dynamic sigs and avatars?

Dynamic sigs and avatars can enhance the user's online presence and make their profile more visually appealing. They also serve as a way for users to express their personality and interests. Additionally, they can help users stand out and be easily recognizable in online communities.

4. Can I use any image for my dynamic sig or avatar?

It depends on the platform or website's guidelines. Some may have restrictions on the type of images that can be used, such as size, format, or content. It is always important to check the guidelines and make sure you have the rights to use the image before using it as a dynamic sig or avatar.

5. How can I create my own dynamic sig or avatar?

There are many ways to create a dynamic sig or avatar. Some websites offer tools or templates for users to design their own, while others may require some coding knowledge. Users can also hire a graphic designer to create a custom dynamic sig or avatar for them.