Understanding Asymptotes: Vertical and Horizontal in Reciprocal Functions

• Thread starter Atomos
  • Start date
In summary: It can cross a horizontal asymptote, but only if the value of the function approaches the asymptote as x goes to + or - infinity.
Atomos
On my first IB test of the year. Since this is IB, rank matters immensely in determining your final standardized mark. That marks puts me tied in second with someone else.

The first question of the test asks you to sketch the reciprocal of a function f(x) and label any asymptotes and points of invarience. This function went from negative infinity, to 4, then back down to about -2, and the graph indicated that it continued on, never quite reaching -2.
Vertical asymptotes are easy enough; where it crosses 0. However, there are apparently 2 horizontal asymptotes, one at -1/2, and one at 0. The 0 makes sense, NO WHERE on the reciprical function does the graph cross 0; that is impossible. The -1/2 does not make sense. As I said, the ealrier part of the function comes all the way up from negative infinity with no breaks in the graph, therefore it DOES pass -2 and this the reciprocal does cross -1/2. I asked the teacher (this was at the end of class, so I did not have much time to make my point because I had to go to my next class) and he was saying something about local asymptotes, a concept that I was never introduced to. I was always taught that asymptotes were lines a function would never cross.

Am I wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not entirely sure I understand what f was, but in any case a function can cross it's asymptotes. For example, [tex]1/x-1/x^2[/tex] has a horizontal asymptote of y=0, yet it crosses this line at x=1.

I wouldn't "argue the mark" if I were you. You seem to have the wrong idea about "horizontal asymptotes". From what you say it seems clear to me that there is an asymptote at -1/2 but not necessarily 0.

And it is quite possible for a function to cross a horizontal asymptote. The only requirement for a horizontal asymptote is that the value of the function approach it as x goes to + or - infinity.

Ok thanks. Upon further research, my definition of asymptote is incorrect. I was taught in earlier math courses that a function could not cross the asymptote.

The graph of a function cannot cross a vertical asymptote.

1. Should I argue my mark if I think it is too low?

It depends on the situation. If you have valid reasons to believe that your mark is too low, such as a grading error or misunderstanding of the assignment instructions, then it may be worth discussing with your professor. However, if your mark is within a reasonable range and you simply want a higher grade, it may not be worth arguing.

2. Is it appropriate to argue my mark with my professor?

Yes, it is appropriate to have a respectful and professional discussion with your professor about your mark. However, it is important to approach the conversation with a calm and open-minded attitude, and to be prepared to accept their explanation or decision.

3. How can I argue my mark without coming across as confrontational?

One way to avoid coming across as confrontational is to focus on the specific aspects of the assignment or exam that you have concerns about. Be sure to provide evidence or examples to support your argument, and listen to your professor's perspective as well.

4. Should I wait until after the semester is over to argue my mark?

This depends on the policies of your university and your professor. Some professors may have a specific timeline for grade disputes, while others may be open to discussing marks at any time. It is best to check with your professor and follow any guidelines they have set.

5. If I argue my mark, is there a possibility that it could be lowered?

It is possible that your mark could be lowered if your professor re-evaluates your assignment or exam and finds that it was originally graded too generously. However, if you have valid reasons for disputing your mark, it is unlikely that it will be lowered. It is always important to approach the situation respectfully and with a genuine desire to understand and improve your performance.