Did Physics Grads Get Top Grades in High School?

• Thread starter alias25
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, the conversation discusses whether high school grades, specifically in physics and math, are a good indicator of success in university level physics courses. The general consensus is that while good grades are important, they do not necessarily guarantee success in university level physics. It is suggested to focus on strengthening math skills and understanding the concepts thoroughly in order to do well in physics at the university level. It is also mentioned that support from family and a love for physics can also contribute to success in the subject.
alias25
did everyone get A grades/top grades in class etc in physics in high school or 6th form ie pre-university most of the time?

Physics news on Phys.org
No.

messagebelongenough!

inha said:
No.

messagebelongenough!

so it's ok that I am getting A/B grades..
and want to do physics at uni?

Most definetly. Physics at university level is very different from what it is in HS and HS grades aren't too good of an indicator of how well one will do at the next level.

I hope not. I never had a physics or calculus course in high school, and I failed two courses, one of them being an algebra course (which I eventually retook). I pulled out of high school with a GPA of something like a 2.4. Now I'm working on a B.S. in physics and I'm acing both my math and physics courses.

Higher grades will get you into more prestigious colleges, nonetheless.

Heck no! They taught us calculus-based physics in high school, but I was still taking Trig at the time (don't ask me who came up with that course sequence :rolleyes:). Physics made a whole heck of a lot more sense in college after I already had the proper math courses under my belt to understand how to derive equations and properly use them.

alias25 said:
so it's ok that I am getting A/B grades..
and want to do physics at uni?

:confused: so you can get better than an 'A' now?

?? no A is the highest grades possible, but I am not very confident with my ability, i do well in class but in exams i panic and get grades below my potential. got AABC for AS with B in physics(messed up the prac) an C in maths i will be resitting maths and physics modules and I am predicted an A for physics and B for maths.

I don't know about anyone else, but I didn't go into physics because I thought it was easy. Its Challenging, that's one of the reasons I love studying it. The other being I like knowing how everything works and how the universe functions. Its enlightening. If you feel like this then you'd be great in physics, at least I think so.

I'd say that to have an indication about your ability to do physics at university, don't look at your high school *physics* grades, but at your high school *math* grades...

wel i guess I am bummered then,i dropped biology now which i got an A in wrote my personal statement everythings set for me to apply for phys, i guess I am just gunna have to stuggle through the 3 years, because i love physics but my maths grades arnt good.

alias25 said:
wel i guess I am bummered then,i dropped biology now which i got an A in wrote my personal statement everythings set for me to apply for phys, i guess I am just gunna have to stuggle through the 3 years, because i love physics but my maths grades arnt good.

It's not too late! If the UK Universities are set up similarly to the U.S. ones, it will be about 3 Semesters before you get to the physics courses with the really tough math (In the US Universities, the first 2-3 Semesters are usually just core courses that everyone has to take.) Go back over the math you've had so far and make sure it's *rock-solid.* When you get into your physics courses, make sure you understand all the math involved as you go along.

Most textbooks are really bad at compressing about 10 steps in solving a problem down to 'it should be obvious that solving equation (1) yields equation (2). If it's *not* obvious how they got from (1) to (2), try and figure it out. If you can't, ask your professor or a fellow student to show you. This will seem like a pain, but it will pay off down the road.

*cries* my parents are zero supportive

1. How important are high school grades for a career in physics?

High school grades are important for any career, including physics. However, they are not the only factor that determines success in this field. Other factors such as passion, curiosity, and problem-solving skills are equally important.

2. Do top grades in high school guarantee success in physics?

No, top grades in high school do not guarantee success in physics. While good grades can open doors and provide a strong foundation, they are not the sole determinant of success. Other factors such as research experience, internships, and graduate studies also play a crucial role.

3. Can someone with average grades in high school still pursue a career in physics?

Yes, someone with average grades in high school can still pursue a career in physics. High school grades are not the only factor considered for admission to a physics program. Many universities also look at standardized test scores, letters of recommendation, and personal statements.

4. Are there any successful physicists who did not excel in high school?

Yes, there are many successful physicists who did not excel in high school. For example, Nobel Laureate Richard Feynman received a C in high school physics. Success in physics is not solely determined by high school grades, but rather a combination of factors such as passion, hard work, and determination.

5. How can someone with low grades in high school improve their chances of success in physics?

Someone with low grades in high school can improve their chances of success in physics by taking additional courses to strengthen their understanding of the subject, participating in research or internships, and getting strong letters of recommendation. They can also work on developing their problem-solving skills and passion for the subject.