*screams in anger* ok, divergence theorem problem

In summary, the conversation was about calculating a surface or triple integral of a given function over a region defined as x^2+y^2+z^2>=25. There was confusion over notation and the correct divergence of the function, but eventually the correct answer of 100pi was solved. There was also mention of using the divergence theorem and solving the problem using a surface integral.
schattenjaeger
question says answer in whichever would be easier, the surface integral or the triple integral, then gives me(I'm in a mad hurry, excuse the lack of formatting...stuff)

the triple integral of del F over the region x^2+y^2+z^2>=25
F=((x^2+y^2+z^2)(xi+yj+zk)), so del F would be 3(x^2+y^2+z^2)?

In this case, the region is a sphere, it'd be easier to do it with the triple integral over the volume, right? Well, regardless I tried it that way, converting to spherical coordinates(my book mixes up the traditional phi and theta placement, but whatever)

triple integral of 3r^4*sin(theta)drd(theta)d(phi), and the limits of integration, going from the right integral to the left, 0-5, 0-pi, 0-2pi?

And somewhere before there is where I messed up 'cuz I can do the integral I have there easily enough and I get like some huge square of 5 times pi, and the answer is 100pi

-_-
:'(

Physics news on Phys.org
schattenjaeger said:
over the region x^2+y^2+z^2>=25
is that actually a [itex]<=[/itex] ? (you say the region is a sphere...)
I don't understand your notation. If you what you meant was [tex]\left( x^3 \hat{i} + y^3 \hat{j} + z^3 \hat{k} \right) [/tex], then your [tex]\nabla \mathbf{\vec{F}}[/tex] is correct. But what you wrote is [tex]\left( x^2 + y^2 + z^2 \right)\left( x \hat{i} + y \hat{j} + z \hat{k} \right)[/tex]
[tex]=\left( x \left( x^2 + y^2 + z^2 \right) \hat{i} + y \left( x^2 + y^2 + z^2 \right) \hat{j} + z \left( x^2 + y^2 + z^2 \right)\hat{k} \right) [/tex], which has a different divergence.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh I love you, you're fast
yes I mean <=
but yah, the latter is what I wrote and meant, but I'm confused, isn't the (x^2+y^2+z^2) like...if you just had a constant A, times (xi+yj+zk)(or A<x,y,z>)it's be like <Ax,Ay,Az>, so can you not do that with the (x^2+y^2+z^2) out front?
am I doing something stupid in the midst of night?

I'll throw in the intermediate step I did too,

so F=<x^3+y^2+z^2,x^2+y^3+z^3,similarforz>

and the divergence would be the same in that case as <x^3,y^3,z^3>

so F=<x^3+y^2+z^2,x^2+y^3+z^3,similarforz>

Not quite:

[tex]\left(x^2+y^2+z^2 \right)(x \mathbf{\hat{i}} \right))=\left(x^3+\mathbf{x}y^2+\mathbf{x}z^2 \right) \mathbf{\hat{i}}[/tex]
and similarly...

Well that was a dumb mistake. Remember kids, sleep is gooood

So with that in mind

how the devil is the answer what it is?

because using the correct divergence and going through it I'm getting like 12500pi

schattenjaeger,
I hope you're awake after a long :zzz: .:wink: I was having trouble with the exact problem,from Boas' book I presume, and a search for "divergence theorem" brought me here. Anyway, I arrived at the answer given at the back of the book,viz. [tex]4\pi5^5[/tex], by solving the surface integral. You also get it when
[tex]\nabla.\vec{F} = 3(x^2+y^2+z^2)[/tex],in the case of a volume integral, which is obviously wrong. So did you eventually solve it using the triple integral?

Anyone's help will be appreciated.

Last edited:

1. What is the divergence theorem problem and why is it important in science?

The divergence theorem is a mathematical concept that states the relationship between the flow of a vector field and the behavior of that field around a closed surface. This problem is important in science because it allows for the calculation of flux and divergence, which are crucial for understanding fluid dynamics, electromagnetism, and other physical phenomena.

2. Why do scientists often scream in frustration when encountering the divergence theorem problem?

The divergence theorem problem can be quite complex and challenging, even for experienced scientists. It involves intricate mathematical calculations and can require a lot of time and effort to solve. This frustration is often compounded by the importance of the problem in understanding and predicting physical phenomena.

3. How is the divergence theorem problem used in real-world applications?

The divergence theorem problem is used in various real-world applications, such as fluid dynamics, electromagnetism, and heat transfer. It is also used in engineering and physics to study the behavior of fluids and fields in different systems and environments.

4. What are some common strategies for solving the divergence theorem problem?

Some common strategies for solving the divergence theorem problem include using vector calculus techniques, breaking down the problem into smaller, more manageable parts, and using software or programming languages to assist with calculations. Collaborating with other scientists and seeking guidance from experts in the field can also be beneficial.

5. Is there any way to make the divergence theorem problem easier to understand and solve?

While the divergence theorem problem can be challenging, there are ways to make it more manageable. These include breaking it down into smaller steps, using visual aids and diagrams to aid understanding, and practicing with simpler examples before tackling more complex problems. Seeking help from colleagues or online resources can also be helpful.