What is the Period of a Pendulum and String System with a Peg Obstacle?

In summary, the bob takes approximately 1.5 seconds to get to the angle a after it is released from the peg.
lonely86driver
i don't know if I'm making this look easy or hard but here's the question

A pendulum made of a string of length 10.4m and a spherical bob of mass 2.2kg is able to swing in a vertical plane. The pendulum is released from an angular position 41* from vertical. The string hits a peg located a distance 6m below the point of suspension and swings about the peg up to an angle "a" on the other side of the peg. the bob proceeds to oscillate back and forth between these two angular extremities. acc. of gravity is 9.8 m/s^2. what is the period of the pendulum plus the peg system shown above.

since period only depends on length of the string and acceleration due to gravity
this is what i was thinking about the problem. i just add two periods togethers. but then reading the problem again its sounds like i need to find the period of the second system in order to find the complete period of the entire system.

it sounds like the second system is a torsional pendulum problem so i might have to find the period for that.
i wish i had a pic to post up but i don't have it on my computer.

Physics news on Phys.org
lonely86driver said:
it sounds like the second system is a torsional pendulum problem so i might have to find the period for that.

It's nothing like that. You have a simple pendulum before and after the string touches the peg.

Try to answer the following questions, in order.

1.) How long does it take for the bob to drop from its release point to the peg?

2.) What must the angle [itex]a[/itex] be after the string hits the peg? (Hint: What quantity must be conserved here?)

3.) How long does it take for the bob to get to the angle [itex]a[/itex] after the string hits the peg?

ahhh i see now thanks

Let us know if you get stuck.

1. What is a pendulum and string problem?

A pendulum and string problem refers to a physics problem that involves a pendulum, which is a weight suspended from a string or rod that swings back and forth under the influence of gravity. This type of problem typically involves calculating the motion, acceleration, and energy of the pendulum based on its length, mass, and starting position.

2. What factors affect the motion of a pendulum and string?

The motion of a pendulum and string is affected by several factors, including the length of the string, the mass of the weight, the angle at which the pendulum is released, and the force of gravity. Other factors that can influence the motion include air resistance, friction, and the presence of other objects or forces in the environment.

3. How is the period of a pendulum and string determined?

The period of a pendulum and string, which is the time it takes for one complete swing, is determined by the length of the string and the force of gravity. The period can be calculated using the equation T = 2π√(L/g), where T is the period, L is the length of the string, and g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2 on Earth).

4. How does the mass of the weight affect the motion of a pendulum and string?

The mass of the weight does not affect the motion of a pendulum and string as long as the mass is significantly smaller than the force of gravity. This is because the motion of a pendulum is primarily determined by the length of the string and the force of gravity, rather than the mass of the weight.

5. How can the energy of a pendulum and string be calculated?

The energy of a pendulum and string can be calculated using the equations for kinetic energy (KE = 1/2mv^2) and potential energy (PE = mgh), where m is the mass of the weight, v is the velocity, h is the height, and g is the acceleration due to gravity. The total energy of the pendulum is the sum of its kinetic and potential energies at any given point in time.